NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback for second challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback for second challenge
    Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:42am
Hi everyone! This is my first Flash Fiction Comp and I was just wanting to check if we get feedback for the second challenge? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:49am
From the results email sent yesterday:

CHALLENGE #2 STORY FEEDBACK
We are hoping to have the Challenge #2 feedback distributed within 36 hours.  Thank you for your patience!
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:56am
So US central time, that’s 11am Friday?

Twelve hours to digest feedback before next prompts come out.

Cool, cool, cool, coolcoolcoolcool
Lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:08am
Oh awesome! Thanks guys! Pays to read the email well ha?

Thanks again.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Lady Lady wrote:

Oh awesome! Thanks guys! Pays to read the email well ha?

Thanks again.

Don't mention it!  I think it's silly of them to send such a stupidly long email when all we want to do is click the link to see our results.  I'm probably the only one who even read it all, and I don't even remember why I did.  I think I was looking for something.
Twerteen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twerteen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:19am
I admit I only read as far as the link for results. It never occurred to me to go back and read the results email.

I've been checking my inbox like a squirrel looking for an acorn, thinking I'd missed a notification an my judges criticism was rotting, unopened in between spam coupons.

Thanks for being my internet hero of the day! I'll resume inbox searching like a maniac if I don't get a notification by noon today. 😊
louciferish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louciferish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:13am
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Legit question: do you feel like you need to digest the feedback?

Personally, I've found so far that my forum feedback is more useful than the judges. It mostly overlaps, and the extra stuff the judges suggested to me in round 1 would be impossible in the 1k word limit. I'm awaiting my feedback this round more with dread that it'll say something to make me angry more than anything else XD
FF19, R1, Everybody Wants to Rule the World (12pts)
R2, Nothing Good (10 pts)
R3, Painless
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:23am
Originally posted by louciferish louciferish wrote:

Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Legit question: do you feel like you need to digest the feedback?

Personally, I've found so far that my forum feedback is more useful than the judges. It mostly overlaps, and the extra stuff the judges suggested to me in round 1 would be impossible in the 1k word limit. I'm awaiting my feedback this round more with dread that it'll say something to make me angry more than anything else XD

Forum feedback is SO HELPFUL for polishing stories for publishing. If you’re wanting to move forward to the next round, then learning what the judges are looking for is helpful, yeah. Forum for writing in general, judges for the competition. 
FFC#2 - You Make Your Own Luck
Micro#1 - One More Day
louciferish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louciferish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Forum feedback is SO HELPFUL for polishing stories for publishing. If you’re wanting to move forward to the next round, then learning what the judges are looking for is helpful, yeah. Forum for writing in general, judges for the competition. 

That's interesting to hear. In my round one, I think the judges and the forum were actually in agreement 90% of the time. Both tended to point out the same "hits" and "misses" in my story. I'll definitely be pretty surprised if my judge feedback for this round differs significantly from the forum.

FF19, R1, Everybody Wants to Rule the World (12pts)
R2, Nothing Good (10 pts)
R3, Painless
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:26am
Checking, no one's got theirs yet? 

When it comes, and you wonder why you have a comment that you couldn't address in the word count, keep in mind that the judges' feedback (and the contest as a whole) is partly designed to help you develop your story for publication, so yes, they are going to suggest things you wouldn't have had space for in the word count.  Yes, they are. Don't be angry. Be happy, and then go polish your lovely story and get it out there. Good luck, all!

Edited by Mumser - 08 Nov 2019 at 9:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic