NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Short Story?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CathyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Short Story?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:14pm
I have read so many great short stories on the forums this time around,and have loved them all for various reasons. I was wondering what some of your favorites are. We have another whole day to wait so to speed time along I am looking for other peoples favorites to read. 

I'll start: 
1. Wash Me Clean of Their Dirt.- I just read this today and was shocked at the vivid descriptions used. You could see the dragon costumes and the painted skin.

2. A Safe Place - The story was a hilarious Mission Impossible and I loved this! The ending was the perfect comic end.

3. Reunite - The character development of Kate was great as they overcame the horrible obstacles.

Who's next?

Edited by CathyM - 05 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
Rnd 1 FF Little Dick Rnd2 The Box
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:25pm
I'm never going to remember which ones I read, and I haven't had time to read half as many as I'd have liked. (To paraphrase a certain hobbit.)

"The Shadow of the Waxwing" was great, but even better are ideallyowlish's reviews, which read like little mini works of literature themselves. 

"A Respectable Republican Woman" is about the funniest thing I've read in a while. It's probably my absolute favorite.

"Giving Back" was really creepy, I hope they do turn it into a novel.

"The Lady in the 4th Row" was charming. 

"A Test of Silence" was really professional-sounding fantasy.

"The Frolic Room" was high class.

I can't wait to see other people's favorites, I want to read more but time is so scarce.

Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm

Considering the disparate genres, prompts, and approaches, I liked the ones I’ve read for different reasons, and there are more than likely equally good ones that I have not had the opportunity to read. As for favourites, that changes because my taste differs, depending on many factors. Best of luck to all the competing writers.

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:46am

It might be the post-vaccine fever talking, but I honestly cannot remember any that I read. (I'm sure if I go back and look at the ML, it will all come back to me though.)

So I'm going to go with--they're all my favorites, for one reason or another. And that's probably closer to the truth. Most of the stories I read had at least one thing about it--a character, a phrase, a unique take on the prompts--that impressed me. 

Now, I think I'll go take a nap...
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:40pm
Random's political satire is the best pol-sat I've ever read for one of these.

Everything else is a blur.
 Post Reply Post Reply