NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Prompt Combinations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booklover13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Prompt Combinations?
    Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 1:51pm
Like other skills, one of the best ways to improve writing is to consistently practice. However it's always been difficult for me to find the motivation to do so. One of the things that helps is having prompts (which is why I love NYC Midnight). However fun, challenging prompts can be difficult to find.

So I was wondering if people could post their favorite NYC midnight prompt combinations they've had. That way I (and others) could have a collection of good ones to practice writing with. 

(One of my favorites was Fairy Tale/ Black smith/ Supply and demand)

Edited by booklover13 - 15 Aug 2022 at 1:52pm
2nd Place, SS, R1, G161 - We Found Love in an UberPool (RomCom)
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:03pm
I really loved my SSC R1 prompts this year. Unfortunately, my best friend had some pretty devastating personal things pop up, so my heart wasn't really in it and I ended up not submitting. The prompts were Historical Fiction/Landlocked/Blood Brothers. 

Edited by NERdling - 15 Aug 2022 at 2:04pm
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:11pm
My favorite one to bitch about is and always will be historical fiction / concrete factory / a massage table. EXCUSE ME LOL.

My actual favorite was comedy / fairgrounds / a pigeon. What an absolute blessing to be handed a bird and be told "ok, be funny." Best NYCM weekend ever for me <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:23pm
Honestly, my favorite was perhaps surprisingly PolSat! It was my first NYCM ever, I had no idea that PolSat was even a category, had never written PolSat before, and had an absolute blast guessing regarding EVERYTHING! I didn't even know a "master of ceremonies" was the same as an "emcee" until someone pointed it out in the forums after I'd submitted LOL Honestly, I was SHOCKED to get an HM1 given how clueless I was, but it was a heck of a lot of fun!

SSC: PolSat/Moonlighting/A master of ceremonies

My FF Ch2 prompts for this round were fun, too: Horror/A club meeting/A welcome mat. I can't wait to read about some horror clubs on Wednesday if the same groupmates post for this challenge as in Ch1!
surnica View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote surnica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
My favorite to complain about is Poli Sat/Edutainment/Witch.

I think my prompts from this recent FF round 2 were my favorite overall: Ghost Story/Workshop/Coffee Bean.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:10pm
That's I've actually HAD, rather than just envied? Uh...I don't think I've ever particularly been thrilled with any of them, the best I can hope for is 'I can work with this.' Of those, my favorite has probably been Short Story, Romance/a disabled person/an abandoned house, with Short Story, horror/a painter/ambition a close second (both scored well and in both I very deliberately made the prompt person never physically appear in the story, going so far as to call the second one "The Artist Is Not Present.")  The best I can say about THIS round is at least the setting and object were mundane and suited to the genre.
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm
I enjoyed AA/Incorrigible/a woodcutter for short story last year (and not just because it's my most successful NYCM entry) - I had a lot of fun with the incorrigible theme. 

Although I grumble about my R2 prompts for FF last year - Thriller/an audience/coffee beans, part of me perversely enjoyed the challenge of interpreting audience as a location. Though I'm glad I had a concrete location this time!
spicklerbalt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spicklerbalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:48pm
I got Sci Fi / An antique shop / Breast milk in (I think) last year's Flash Fiction contest. I also got zero points for the story I wrote. We have fun.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 9:13pm

Pretty much anything that does not have the words Spy or Crime Caper involved.

Edited by Suave - 15 Aug 2022 at 11:41pm
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Pretty much anything that does not have the words Soy or Crime Caper involved.

I see you can't even bring yourself to write 'spy' any more.WinkWinkWink

A few of you this round very fed up with spy. Looking forward to seeing what you and Zoelou each wrote in rebellion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>