NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairy Tale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKR3103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairy Tale
    Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 6:01am
Did anyone else get a Fairy Tale genre?  In an attempt to not get disqualified for not staying within the guidelines...I'm now obsessed.
Do they literally mean in the typical sense...Fairy Tale?  I just want to get an idea of what they might be looking for so if someone had this genre last year please...please...please clarify for me!  I don't want to go all out with a fairy tale (a real fairy tale..."once upon a time") and that be completely off base.  The problem I've run in to is that my subject is very modern and if I'm not precise enough...I worry about being disqualified or just lame!

Edited by DKR3103 - 24 Jul 2006 at 6:03am
Decker
elblanc0 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elblanc0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 6:33am

I was in the Fairy Tale/ Internet Virus heat last year. I pretty much stayed within the rules of the genre. My spin was to superimpose the basic heroic journey onto a computer network/ Internet universe. Instead of the Knight Errant, my hero was a reluctant recycling program and instead of nymphs and dragons, I used computer worms and viruses.

So I would say craft your story around the traditional fairy tale model but manipulate the story elements to fit your subject.

Hope this helps. 

Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 6:51am
I'd read "fairy tale" as "a magical story with a lesson learned" ... but that's just me.
elblanc0 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elblanc0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 7:09am
Magical story I agree with, but I don't think the story necessarly needs to embody a moral, that's more of a fable (although fable vs. fairy tale vs. folk tale my be splitting some very fine hairs). My story didn't revolve around a specific moral message or lesson learned.
DKR3103 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKR3103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 7:25am
I think what I've been struggling with is if I should go all out fairy tale and incorporate my subject but not in the modern sense. 
For instance let's say my genre is Fairy Tale and the subject was the Stock Market Crash...or something like that.  My thought would be to create this fantastic fairy tale world, with your typical fairy tale-esque characters and then create some metaphor that would represent the crash of the stock market.  Obviously the crashing of the stock market doesn't fit in the typical "world" of fairy tales...so what I'm struggling with is...create a modern tale about the crash of the stock market and tell with typical "tale" elements...or go the complete opposite and tell it set in another time and place and the crashing of the stock market is something else all together metaphorically speaking...
Does that make sense or am I just reading too much in to Fairy Tales?
Decker
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:03am
Here's the best advice I can give you ... imagine how Jeunet would do it.
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:09am
Originally posted by DKR3103 DKR3103 wrote:

Does that make sense or am I just reading too much in to Fairy Tales?
Yes. Smile

You need to follow your genre and subject, but I don't think you need to be a slave to it either.  Have fun with it.  Create something unique that you love and I bet the judges will too.

Chris
elblanc0 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elblanc0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:15am
Both would be acceptable interpretations of the genre, I think. Personally, I like the first option.
jnbckwth View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnbckwth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2006 at 2:31pm
How's your fairy story going... I have to confess that I put fairies in my story even though that wasn't my genre....

jnbckwth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic