NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairy Tale Re-imagining?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffBower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairy Tale Re-imagining?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:43am
I have Fairy Tale and I was wondering if anyone can answer this question or share their thoughts. 

1). Since Fairy Tales are public domain, is it cool to take an old existing fairy tale (albeit much lesser known) and give it the re-imagining treatment revolving around the prompt items?  Or does it have to be an original fairy tale from scratch?

2).  If I do re-imagine an old fairy tale, should I mention it in the logline or just let it be? I'm afraid if I don't and the judges know the fairy tale, they'll accuse me of ripping it off. However, if I do mention it I feel like I might get dinged for originality.  

Thoughts?  Answers? Help me.  :)

Jeff
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 1:03am
Honestly I think it depends on how well you pull it off. I've seen some AMAZING reimaginings of fairy tales (see Tim's "Cindy") but I could see a clunky version of a fairy tale not do as well. As long as it feels original and maintains fairy tale tropes, I don't think you have to worry about a judge saying "Wait a minute, this feels a LOT like Little Red Riding Hood..."

Best of luck - I had fairy tale in Challenge 1 and it's a toughie!
Microfiction Finals: Carry On
FF Ch1: Semper Fidelis
JeffBower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffBower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 1:07am
Thanks so much. Yeah, I'm going to trust me gut and go with my original idea. It's a very, very lesser known fairy tale and I'm going to change so much of the plot because it has to take place in a submarine. I think I'll take the risk.  Thanks again.
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic