NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excited for Flash Fiction! Who’s in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Same! It's my first time with flash fiction. What error did you make with micro fiction? I always worry after submitting that I may have missed one of the guidelines haha 
HeatherHaze View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherHaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:20pm
I'm in.  I'm an NYC Midnight veteran, but it's been about two years since my last contest.  Looking forward to digging in once again at midnight!  Good luck everyone!
)-|-( Heather Haze
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:31pm
I finally got my time under control, but have to sit out because I just can't justify the $58 registration fee right now. I think I'll write something this weekend anyway, just for myself. Good luck to everyone who's taking part.
Sleepy
Tess2019 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tess2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

I'm excited about this contest, but also hesitant to sign up. I'm somewhat inexperienced, in the sense that my creative writing practice has been sporadic and the only things I've published have been academic articles. I've read some of the past winners and it seems there are a lot of people competing who are full-fledged professional writers, some with multiple published works, so I wonder if I'd just be flushing $50 down the toilet, lol (d

What would you suggest for someone in my position? What were your experiences as fledgling writers or NYC Midnight newbies? Do you think it's worth taking a chance on, or that it might be better to wait, participate in other types of challenges or contests, hone my craft, etc., before seriously considering a challenge like this one?

Whatever happens, I'm excited about my participation in the Microfiction challenge and especially about being able to connect with other writers through these forums. I hope to hear more about your experiences!

I have dine this competition three or four times. I have the same impression that there are many published authors and they tend to win. So do this for the experience and feedback and just have fun with it. It is a shame they do not offer a novice category. Wear a thick skin on the forum feedback; I found that some can be needless in some of their criticism. 

Good luck if you join in!
Tess 
Please read my newest entry in the Flash Fiction Category 1st Round story titled Martian
Veronica_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veronica_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

What would you suggest for someone in my position? What were your experiences as fledgling writers or NYC Midnight newbies? Do you think it's worth taking a chance on, or that it might be better to wait, participate in other types of challenges or contests, hone my craft, etc., before seriously considering a challenge like this one?

Do consider taking this challenge as a way to kick yourself into gear. Don't wait to feel ready. Like you, I come from an academic background, and tend to overthink. This also translates into over-explaining in my creative writing, and this challenge is an excellent means to teach you away from that. 

But if you do sign up, by all means resist the temptation to compare yourself to other writers. This challenge is about you alone, and for you alone. The exercise is meant to make you a better writer based on your strengths and weaknesses, not to make you more like other writers. The feedback you receive will be invaluable (at least it was for me), but you might and probably will wonder why a story that received a very positive evaluation, did not get many or any points. Do not try to understand how and why judging and placement work: that way madness lies :)  It's not about your story being inadequate, but about other stories being liked more than yours. Focus only on the feedback to avoid disappointment. 

Good luck to you in your endeavours, whatever you decide!
Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.
https://veronica-gventsadze.com/
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm
Can't wait! Hoping for some good prompts!
ch1      She was perfect
Micro Mordecai
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic