NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excited for Flash Fiction! Who’s in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:59pm
Probably out. 

As much as I like writing prose I got one RomCom too many (which technically means I got RomCom once, but realistically I got it about 658,493.2 times).

When writing for the contest turns into one of those tasks you just dread, like getting a root canal during a colonoscopy without anesthesia and performed by students chosen for diversity rather than skill set then it's time to back off.  I'd rather work on my projects.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses! There are a lot of valuable remarks in everything that all of you have said, and I appreciate how varied your writing backgrounds are. It was especially heartening to hear from those of you who competed with little writing behind you, and those who have done so and gone on to publish/stage your works. I'm actually more motivated to participate now, so thanks again, a bunch!

I'm in NO way aiming to come in first place, hahaha, and not necessarily even within the top whatever. I guess I just didn't like the idea of a guaranteed loss considering the number and quality of competitors... but it seems there's hope :-)

My first ever competition was the microfiction just gone... I have no idea how I did, but in reading my story back, and taking on board comments from other competitors, I already have so many more ideas and ways in which I can shape future works...

I've already entered the flash fiction. Because I need to. I need to write. But at the moment, with the whole COVID-19 bizzo and a bunch of other things going on, I'm not writing, because my little people need me, and I am theirs first and foremost. 

But with that said, they knew I had entered the microfiction, and they gave me the space to write when it was needed, and sat there with bated breath as I read them my entry and gave me huge amounts of support before I hit the "enter" key...

For me, with the current "situation" in the world, the form these competitions take is entirely perfect for me to ensure my babies are looked after, and I get to do something for me too. 

So, in answer to the question, I'm in. Wholeheartedly. And I can't wait to see what it brings out of me. 

The first competition made me believe that writing is what I should be doing, because it made me feel like nothing else I'd ever felt before. Even though I knew (after the fact) that I could do so much better. 

It's the whole journey beginning with a single step thing.... Unabashedly, I am the owner of the foot making that momentous first step in this particular story.... for mine, anyway....

alfdis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:53am
Christobelle, so much of what you wrote resonates with me. I've also finally taken that first step in the direction I want to be following (with my Microfiction entry) and have since been hunkering down and really committing to my writing practice. I'm loving the outlet for my creativity. It's been a long time coming, but at long last here I am, doing what I'm meant to be doing. I will most likely participate in the flash fiction challenge. I saw good reasons to, intuitively, and had many of those were confirmed or elaborated by the responses of other writers to my questions. My hesitation and doubt came from a place of duress and uncertainty related to my own life experiences of the past couple of months...
Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

Christobelle, so much of what you wrote resonates with me. I've also finally taken that first step in the direction I want to be following (with my Microfiction entry) and have since been hunkering down and really committing to my writing practice. I'm loving the outlet for my creativity. It's been a long time coming, but at long last here I am, doing what I'm meant to be doing. I will most likely participate in the flash fiction challenge. I saw good reasons to, intuitively, and had many of those were confirmed or elaborated by the responses of other writers to my questions. My hesitation and doubt came from a place of duress and uncertainty related to my own life experiences of the past couple of months...

I dare say you were not alone.... 

It is so grounding to find others experiencing similar emotions!! The resonation between people in such entirely different circumstances is truly astounding....

How wonderful is it that creativity is finding a way out, despite all the challenges....

And life finds a way....
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Probably out. 

As much as I like writing prose I got one RomCom too many (which technically means I got RomCom once, but realistically I got it about 658,493.2 times).

When writing for the contest turns into one of those tasks you just dread, like getting a root canal during a colonoscopy without anesthesia and performed by students chosen for diversity rather than skill set then it's time to back off.  I'd rather work on my projects.
You should enter! It keeps the wheels greased, throw it up in the forum, enjoy yourself. Been a while since you did that? You will be missed!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Probably out. 

I hear you. They do charge a lot for entry fees, and when you get nothing but the same category over and over (and it's one you're not going to write in otherwise) it doesn't seem worth it.

For me it's at least making me be productive. I have gotten absolutely nothing done otherwise. Way too much free time. 
SSC 2020 R3 G1: Hermitage
MF100 R1: Minder
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

You should enter! It keeps the wheels greased, throw it up in the forum, enjoy yourself. Been a while since you did that? You will be missed!

The wheels are so greasy they're probably not street legal other than on an Olongopo Jeepney.  From the 80s.  When that meant something.

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I hear you. They do charge a lot for entry fees, and when you get nothing but the same category over and over (and it's one you're not going to write in otherwise) it doesn't seem worth it.

For me it's at least making me be productive. I have gotten absolutely nothing done otherwise. Way too much free time. 

Honestly it's less the money and more the genre.  They should add a way to opt-out of a genre, even if they charge extra for it.  Getting RomCom for screenplay was like a dark cloud descended.  I worked on my opus servitium incusabantur and felt much better, but it was so bad I just don't want to deal with flash.  If the 100 micro had been a 125 micro I might not have done that either.

As for productive, realistically I have more than more than enough done for the novel, which is about 1/10th done at 33,000 words.  I also have about 300,000 words of notes.  At this point I spend more time piecing scenes together, keeping the causal logic in order, making sure everyone uses their own voice, and otherwise herding emus. 

Then I need to edit, but this is a desk drawer novel; I'm writing it for me.  You know you're doing it right when you google one of your own characters.

Or it's time to check in to Happy Acres.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
SLSingleton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLSingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

As terrible as I've done lately in these things, it's hard to get excited about any of it.

Don't let it get you down! Sometimes the prompts work for you, sometimes they don't! 
Join us!!
Read my 100 Word Microficion Busy Hands [URL=https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic33262_post343357.html#343357%20[/URL]
DanielleDahl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielleDahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:46pm
I'm in! I did the short story competition and didn't make it past round one, but I had fun! I entered the screenplay and had some good reviews, and the microfiction contest was fun! May as well give the flash fiction a go! 
PalmTree001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PalmTree001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:08pm
I dunno...the flash fiction challenge sounds REALLY fun, but that is a hefty fee! This 100-word microfiction challenge has been my first (and yes, I thought THAT was expensive! Haha), and I'm kind of a "one thing at a time" person. Maybe I'll see how that goes first and then decide whether or not to spend the money again on a contest in the future.

I do really enjoy the community here, though. How long will this forum be available? I've never been part of a writer's group or anything, and this feels almost like that! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic