NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dread
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:56pm
So, I really hated my last piece.  And then this hate hangover lasted for a few days, and I couldn't bear to even look at it, never mind the thought that JUDGES would!  My stars, what this contest does.  A fairy tale- how difficult could that be, particularly as I love fairy tales.  At some point, I just got bored with my own tale, and submitted a final piece mentioning that even the "clouds got bored."  Oh well.  I am not even gallish enough to share.
Lizzie
Lizzierh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm
Also now I have so many better ideas but isn't that the thing. Hair shirt, flogging, shattered buttresses, no take backs. 
Lizzie
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:25pm
We love hair shirts, flogging, and shattered buttresses here!! I'm sure your story is loads better than you think!! 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Lizzierh Lizzierh wrote:

even the "clouds got bored." 

Dang. I love this phrase.

Edited by nod1v1ng - 17 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
Lizzierh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:54pm
The clouds got bored and the utopia was stupid and the Sand Dog came and messed up their dreams.  Also, the Sand Dog was the "park ranger," which may or may not eliminate this charge of "park ranger."  What I wished I had created was an anti-utopian park, but then, that's the thing.  You get one shot, and where you are in that one shot is the only one that counts.  Or shoots. 
Lizzie
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:25pm
In my experience, the more you hate/are unhappy with a story, the better it does with the judges, so you'll probably come in first!
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:30am
I was really ambivalent about my story.  For the first time since I've  been doing this,  I never hated a story I wrote. I re- read it after submitting and the mistakes and really bad bits are so obvious.  So,  order restored.  I really hate it now.  But it's good to share. Your own perspective on your own writing isn't reliable. 
I've had some positive feedback in the peer reviews. That makes it worthwhile. 
KevinC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KevinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:24am
I hated my story in this round, too. I just thought I couldn't NOT submit. I have not looked at it since...nor will I ever again. Ugh.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:34pm
I think we all begin to hate our pieces by the end because we've gone over them so much prior to turning them in. Surprise twists begin to sound predictable, characters feel flat, story lines suddenly don't make any sense. And a lot of times, if you leave it alone for a few weeks and come back, the stories actually sound good again.

Of course, sometimes they don't. I've turned in some that I never was too happy about. But mostly, it's a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:18pm
That's true. I don't want to edit the novel I finished writing recently because I'm sick to death of the story. Total immersion (especially since I was pushing myself to get it done in a timely manner) definitely requires an out-of-sight-out-of-mind recovery period. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>