NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Don't Forget...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't Forget...
    Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:11pm
...Flash Fiction Round 3 is this coming weekend. So results...what, Thursday, if they stay true to form?
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:15pm
As usual, I just plan on them being late as a matter of fact. I certainly won’t be staying up Wednesday night. If I wake to a surprise, well that’s nice. Big smile
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:01pm
My odds of going through are miniscule (five points from challenge one) so I'm trying not to think about it - but with fewer submissions in ch2 maybe there's a better chance they'll be on time?
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

My odds of going through are miniscule (five points from challenge one) so I'm trying not to think about it - but with fewer submissions in ch2 maybe there's a better chance they'll be on time?

With a giant-A "0" for R1, I also see this as the end of the line for me for FF this year.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 6:43pm
I really lucked out with my story in R1--I was happy with the finished product, and it placed well, so I was set up nicely with 14 points, but I'm pretty sure I bombed R2 Confused Some 14s got into R3 last year, so we'll see what my group cutoff is LOL

I'm off work Wednesday, so I'm going to have to read a bunch of Rhyming Stories to keep my mind off the imminently delayed results lol
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:20pm
I have my fingers crossed for Nick & Gav - I'd love to make it to challenge 3 but mainly because I spent a year or so bailing on every competition I signed up for as my mental health took a bashing during the pandemic and the first half of this year. With Flash, I've managed to overcome that and write something for both challenges so far. I bailed on both in Short Screenplay, but managed something for Rhyming, so it's a case of getting back on track. Baby steps perhaps, but I need to actually take them.

Oversharing. Ah well. If I do make it to challenge 3, don't let me bail or self-sabotage, k?
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

I have my fingers crossed for Nick & Gav - I'd love to make it to challenge 3 but mainly because I spent a year or so bailing on every competition I signed up for as my mental health took a bashing during the pandemic and the first half of this year. With Flash, I've managed to overcome that and write something for both challenges so far. I bailed on both in Short Screenplay, but managed something for Rhyming, so it's a case of getting back on track. Baby steps perhaps, but I need to actually take them.

Oversharing. Ah well. If I do make it to challenge 3, don't let me bail or self-sabotage, k?

No such thing as oversharing on here. It's a support forum for most of us in many ways.
We won't let you bail or sabotage yourself. We all have your PM, lol. 
We'll prop you up if you need it, but you won't. First two stories were too good to not go for it. 
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:41pm
Flash was the very first NYCM I ever did, and as a newbie I was stoked to get points and go through. Then last year I didn't get enough points.
And this year, looks the same. I'd be extremely lucky to get anywhere, and TBH I think my Round 2 story isn't a patch on the Round 1 tale which got mediocre points.  So I've mentally given up on it - at least I think I have, but every so often I get a twinge of hope that some lucky coincidence will get me through.

Ah, get real! Way I feel, I'll spend my time in the other forum where we've made stuff rhyme.
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:44pm
Is it weird to say I’m more excited for feedback than results? I accepted I probably wouldn’t be seeing R3 after my R1 story didn’t place well, so I’m not too hopeful for Thurs.

BUT. I am very eager to see a) whether my buckwild rebellion of a story did earn that DQ in the end, and b) what the judges thought of my outright dare to do so. ;)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Is it weird to say I’m more excited for feedback than results? I accepted I probably wouldn’t be seeing R3 after my R1 story didn’t place well, so I’m not too hopeful for Thurs.

BUT. I am very eager to see a) whether my buckwild rebellion of a story did earn that DQ in the end, and b) what the judges thought of my outright dare to do so. ;)
I'm looking forward to your feedback more than mine for sure!
I'm kind of excited to see how they reacted. Brilliant story but a flip of the bird too, lol.
It was sooo good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>