NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Done and Subbed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beach Mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by RFHawkes RFHawkes wrote:

Wowser. This is my first time doing any creative writing since school (20 years ago). Will probably get crucified , was pretty much the first draft I submitted, but it's nearly 3am UK time and I have a 1 year old son to look after so only got started about midnight.
Anyone care to critique?
I had
Genre:Romance
Word: Photo
Action : cleaning a car

Happy to critique via message  here. 
R1 Sweet Thief
Ch2 Damn the Witches 4th
Ch1 Beach Baby Comes Home 7th
skiddie95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiddie95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:56pm
Done -- and I have a lot of anxiety because it's a genre with which I don't have much comfort. I am hoping my interpretation of it is at least recognized as creative and engaging.Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browser
Disable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×< scrolling="no">
TelepathicTeaTime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TelepathicTeaTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:05pm
Hey, just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reassure me the rules of the word assignment and save me from a needless DQ! It ended up being a quick and painless fix to change "raspberries" to "berry", and my story has been resubmitted. 

I appreciate the quick and honest advice on the issue. Thank you very much! 

ashleythunt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashleythunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by TelepathicTeaTime TelepathicTeaTime wrote:

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reassure me the rules of the word assignment and save me from a needless DQ! It ended up being a quick and painless fix to change "raspberries" to "berry", and my story has been resubmitted. 

I appreciate the quick and honest advice on the issue. Thank you very much! 

Good luck!
daniellemari View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniellemari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:10pm
I did it! I have not been so nervous about something in a long time. I suppose that means it was a good thing I gave this a go.

My genre was romance (yikes- about the most challenging you could pick for me), my action was "opening a window" and my word was "change."

Fun challenge. Ended up with precisely 250 words.

I really hope they like it!
...yes and...
I love feedback! Please read my round 1 story titled Me
Shadies01 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadies01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:14pm
Done and dusted.

I got Historical Fiction
action:Sweating
word: Sight

It ended up being Historical, but not exactly fiction: it is actually family history, but with liberties taken since I only know the main points. 
RFHawkes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFHawkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by daniellemari daniellemari wrote:

I did it! I have not been so nervous about something in a long time. I suppose that means it was a good thing I gave this a go.

My genre was romance (yikes- about the most challenging you could pick for me), my action was "opening a window" and my word was "change."

Fun challenge. Ended up with precisely 250 words.

I really hope they like it!

Well done! Agree that the nervous energy was definitely a good sign. 
Total newbie
Read my 1st Round story titled Ember
All feedback graciously welcomed
bunkie68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunkie68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:42pm
My genre was comedy, my action was ordering from a drive-thru, and my word was rich.

I don't feel great about it, but it's in. Of course, I felt pretty good about previous entries and went nowhere fast, so maybe not feeling good is a positive sign.

We'll see how it goes!
Lisa
Editor and Maybe Writer?
2020 250-Word MFC * R1 G68 * Tornado Warning at Taco Bell
existenceproof View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote existenceproof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm
Just finished.
It's my first comedy story, and at first I was glad of the genre, but... tell a joke, be funny in 250 words or less. In 24 hours. With "using a spray paint" and "born". Go.
Nasty.

Best of luck, everyone!
G
Carsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:03pm
Ghost story, changing a lightbulb, trap...

And now I've totally creeped myself out with spooky research and late-night writing.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic