NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doing this AND NaNoWriMo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

NaNoWriMo blows my mind. I don't understand how anyone who is a full-time employee / student / parent / combination of the above can fit this into their lives. Even fitting in the NYC comps is a major logistical feat for me.
In short: I bow down before you all. Good luck!

It’s definitely a challenge. In past years, I’ve always spent every moment in November writing and running up that word count. This year, the first year I’m working on one true first draft of a novel, I’m taking a completely different approach, and writing only in twenty minute bursts for whichever scene jumps out of my outline. I haven’t spent more than an hour writing in any day yet, and I’m on pace with over 13,500 words. Much rougher material. But it’s a start! And it sort of feels like exercises getting ready for this weekend. 

This is technically my third year. But really only the first year I've given it any sort of actual effort. I've already surpassed my combined word count from the other two years, which... is a little sad. This year I'm just squeezing in time where I can, getting in some sprints, and see where it takes me. I've decided not to stress about hitting that 50,000 because I've already done better than before. If I hit it, great, if not - I'm ok with that. Steady and onward, we'll see where it ends. I'm behind right now but hey, life. But mostly it has been the kick in the pants to truly start on the novel I've been sitting on for a while, and it's fun to get that stuff down on paper (computer screen) finally.
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Ch#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
Sponsored Links

Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
Hi guys! 

I'm going on to the next round, so I'm trying really hard to write through Sunday's par word count, which means I need to write, like, 6,000 more words--ideally today and tomorrow. I don't have anything standing in my way here--no kids, no job, and I totally agree that NaNoWriMo would be way more of a challenge otherwise, so great job to all of you who are multitasking! 

If I can get the 6,000 words written, it will be a win-win in which I can take a NaNo break this weekend and clear my head of my NaNovel. Of course, as I sit here, it's so much more fun to just mess around online. At least last night, I had an excuse (wait for results!). Now, not so much. 

Ooh, my blogger friend posted a new blog post!! And... I'm off!! Cool
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:08pm
Ahh good luck to everyone who's taking a break from NaNo to write this weekend! Hopefully you all have time today and tomorrow to build up a healthy reserve of words.

Personally I'm a little over 30k along (out of an overall goal of 100k) and I'm honestly glad I don't have to try to worry about trying to squeeze in NaNoing this weekend. :)
Group 8 / Round 3: The Word Smugglers (PolSat)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic