NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone have Action/Adventure examples?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booklover13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone have Action/Adventure examples?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 12:48am
I got assigned action/adventure for this round, and I'm pretty nervous. I've always struggled with pacing/ creating an interesting plot. I'm trying to find some A/A NYC Midnight examples, and was wondering if anyone has read/written good ones and could offer suggestions. Any help is appreciated. :) 

(Also, I'm kind of thinking about having my character go on some kind of quest, which might have a variety of settings. Would I fulfill the setting prompt if I had it be the start/ending point of the story, and it had reasonable significance?) 

Edited by booklover13 - 13 Aug 2022 at 12:51am
2nd Place, SS, R1, G161 - We Found Love in an UberPool (RomCom)
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 12:55am
Heya! I was assigned a/a in my first year of flash, and I was terrified haha. I ended up writing something that still feels more like a fantasy/drama to me... but it placed 3rd so luckily I don't think the judges minded. Feedback's on the second page of comments if you're interested. :)

Good luck writing - you got this!! 
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 12:57am
You should check out the master lists from the 2021 flash contest. I know groups 1-80 listed the results in R1, all groups listed the results for R2, and all results were listed in R3. 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:25am
I have had weird luck with stretching this genre. Once I advanced when I had kids poking each other with sticks in the deep snow at the direction of a mean classmate. Another time I had brothers in a ski race through the woods. No idea why I keep using snowy scenes for this genre. But anyway I feel like you could just be weird with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply