NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do You Submit Your Contest Stories To Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Submit Your Contest Stories To Publications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

If you are on Facebook, one of the best things for me has been joining various “submission opportunity” groups. I bet I’m on a half dozen or so. Facebook has a ‘save’ option, so if a post comes up in my feed, I can quickly save it and review it at a more convenient time (versus having to investigate it the moment I see it, which is rarely the ideal time). You can even create a collection for your saves, so you could save it right to a Submission Opps collection. 

But many of these submission opportunities are only open for a limited time, and I’ve definitely had situations (as recently as last night!) where I waited too long to review a saved submission opportunity, and the deadline had passed. :)

What do you type in to search for the submission opportunities? Is it just submission opportunities or short story submission opportunities, or something else entirely? I recently discovered groups on facebook which I've been enjoying hahaha - Excited to try out this new avenue as well. Smile
MF'20 RD1 H79 The Secret Room
SCW '20 RD1 H45 Who's My Friend?
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

If you are on Facebook, one of the best things for me has been joining various “submission opportunity” groups. I bet I’m on a half dozen or so. Facebook has a ‘save’ option, so if a post comes up in my feed, I can quickly save it and review it at a more convenient time (versus having to investigate it the moment I see it, which is rarely the ideal time). You can even create a collection for your saves, so you could save it right to a Submission Opps collection. 

But many of these submission opportunities are only open for a limited time, and I’ve definitely had situations (as recently as last night!) where I waited too long to review a saved submission opportunity, and the deadline had passed. :)

What do you type in to search for the submission opportunities? Is it just submission opportunities or short story submission opportunities, or something else entirely? I recently discovered groups on facebook which I've been enjoying hahaha - Excited to try out this new avenue as well. Smile

I find "call for submissions" "[genre] call for submissions" or "short story call for submissions" as well as "writing contest" or "anthology call for submissions" helpful in my searches! There's also a few facebook groups that you can join called "no fee writing call for submissions" or similar that you can join :) 

Submission Grinder and Duotrope have been mentioned earlier but I echo that they are both very helpful, SG is free and Duotrope has a monthly cost. There's also @writevents on twitter, the person who runs that has a calendar of upcoming deadlines that is helpful.
FF2020 R1G88 Sci-Fi | A Clothes Shop| A Name Tag | The Lap of LUXury
Follow me over on Twitter: @VelociSarah
KarenB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KarenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:22am

This is helpful info!  I am not on Facebook, but might have to reconsider based on this info!  I have submitted two stories this week, thanks to everyone's helpful, practical advice! Happy Writing!
FF R1 CH1 Pirated
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by velocisarah velocisarah wrote:

Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

I find "call for submissions" "[genre] call for submissions" or "short story call for submissions" as well as "writing contest" or "anthology call for submissions" helpful in my searches! There's also a few facebook groups that you can join called "no fee writing call for submissions" or similar that you can join :) 

Submission Grinder and Duotrope have been mentioned earlier but I echo that they are both very helpful, SG is free and Duotrope has a monthly cost. There's also @writevents on twitter, the person who runs that has a calendar of upcoming deadlines that is helpful.

I have managed to do all right without Duotrope and Submission Grinder (other than one or two entries that required Submission Grinder), but I'd probably do better *with* them :) I'm kind of so committed to my own spreadsheet now, with so many tabs and line items, that it would would be hard for me to switch!

A few of the FB groups I'm on include:
- Fiction Submissions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FictionSubmissions/
- Open Submission Calls for Horror/Paranormal/Mystery/SciFi Writers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OpenSubCallsHorrorParanormalMysterySciFiWriters/
- Call for Submissions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/156020074604805/
- Writers Post No Fee Calls for Submission: https://www.facebook.com/groups/58414389316/

There may be some more, but that's all that seemed to pull up when I searched FB for 'submission.' I'm honestly not sure which is best... they tend to all run together in my feed :) 
Learn from my mistake: Rate your judges

SW2 (HM)

FF1: Victorian Disco Vampires--FROM OUTER SPACE!
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by KarenB KarenB wrote:

This is helpful info!  I am not on Facebook, but might have to reconsider based on this info!  I have submitted two stories this week, thanks to everyone's helpful, practical advice! Happy Writing!

Congrats, and good for you!
Learn from my mistake: Rate your judges

SW2 (HM)

FF1: Victorian Disco Vampires--FROM OUTER SPACE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic