NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disqualified Short Screenplay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman2305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disqualified Short Screenplay
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:56am
I am incredibly disappointed that my most recent screenplay was disqualified for length. In accordance with official rules, it was five pages long not including the title page. Upon further investigation I discovered that the FAQs indicate that the title page AND the first page of the transcript should not be numbered. My title page was not numbered but the first page of my screenplay was. I can only assume that NYC Midnight saw the '6' on my final page and disqualified it without considering that the first page started with page number 2. What is more disheartening is that my first round screenplay was numbered the same way and it was accepted. 

The official rules state formatting requirements thusly: "The maximum length for each individual screenplay is 5 pages (not including the title page). All pages, with the exception of the first page, must be numbered." Only the FAQs refer separately to the "first page" and the "title page." 

Whether fault lies with a miscommunication or a misunderstanding on my part, I was really excited about this screenplay, and I cannot even count on submitting it in a future competition as I am unlikely to receive the same genre, object, and location. 

I would like to discuss with someone the possibility of getting a refund on my entry fee for this competition. I would also like to suggest updating the official rules to more clearly reflect the page-numbering format, and ensuring everyone is on the same page about how to determine page length, as my first-round screenplay was formatted the same way -- the fifth and final page was numbered 6 -- but it was accepted. This was a really disappointing experience. Ouch
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:18am
If you email them directly at feedback@nycmidnight.com  you can explain, and they may reassess your script.
Patman2305 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Patman2305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:25am
Thank you!
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Patman2305 Patman2305 wrote:

I am incredibly disappointed that my most recent screenplay was disqualified for length.
Check your page size settings, too. All submitted scripts must be on American standard letter size pages 8.5"x11". I believe this rule came about when it was discovered British A4 size paper is slightly larger and affords a little more room across 5-pages. If you're in a country that uses a larger format paper for its standard, then that would also give you a disqualification if your software isn't set right.
Patman2305 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman2305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:18am
I should point out that the error was, of course, my fault. While I used the same template from a previous screenplay, my right margins were incorrectly set. I apologize for the way I responded; my biggest regret is using the word "thusly" Ermm
meegandavies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meegandavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 2:17pm
Hey Patman

Firstly, sympathies (agree w/ the previous advice re following up).

I'm in Australia, and entered to refresh my screening muscles, and the rule re paper size almost caught me too! Re paper size, it is about not unfairly stacking your script w/ words (a tricky balance) to get an advantage (to keep a level playing field), so it's more likely you got DQ for the overall no. of words than the specific margins (but definitely follow up).

I'm unsure what country you're in, but traditionally scripts to the US market (as in outside the competition) needed to be submitted on US letter and I remember trying to source this a decade ago in Melbourne without any luck, and submitting on A4, with the correct margins (before things went digital).

While NYCM accepts international grammar, it is all US FORMATTED.

Some tips for future re formatting:):

1. If using WORD to format manually, go to layout and change the page size to US letter. Then select custom PAGE NUMBERS. It is possible to start numbering on the second page, so that it says 2.

2. A significant amount of people in this contest use FINAL DRAFT software. This is not viable for me, but believe it should format your scrip automatically in the US style.

3. I used CELTX, which is a pretty decent free software package, but had the exact same issues with page numbering as you.

4. I used the software to create a separate title page, but my script was still numbered 1-5 in the PDF from page 2-6.

5. Regarding the numbering of the first page of your script, this is just a guideline. Traditionally the pages of film scripts are numbered from the second page (I can't recall where this rule comes from, or it's purpose, but believe it is convention as opposed to necessary).

6. The most important thing is that regardless of how you number them (due to software limitations) that your script has no more than six pages including the title page.

I'm here for short story, but your post popped up and I really felt for you...

I hope you get a satisfactory and clear outcome as to why you were DQ, and if it comes down to the page numbering (as opposed to the word count -- confusing I know) I'd dispute it.

Best
Steph
 Post Reply Post Reply