NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disclaimer relevant to inspiration for a story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crumbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disclaimer relevant to inspiration for a story
    Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:58pm
Hi, I have included a disclaimer at the bottom of my story, however, I'm not sure if I need to do this for the challenge. Is anyone else considering a disclaimer? My disclaimer reads.. 

"DISCLAIMER:  This story is a work of fiction and is inspired by [object and names of people used for inspiration]. The story does not refer by name to any real person and does is not representative of any real place."

Sponsored Links

hayleymarks12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hayleymarks12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:13am
I did not, but I cannot see why that would be a negative thing. Just be sure to edit your disclaimer, as it currently says "does is not". 

Unless you are over your 2500, I'd leave it. 

Good luck!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:34am
I don’t think that is needed. I’ve never seen that in a contest before
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 4:29pm
I don't think it's needed. This is fiction, and the judges are not asked to investigate whether this is a roman à clef or not.
jeanbrown View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeanbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:38pm
I was just thinking about this, as my story is inspired by the short stories of Dorothy Parker and Daniel Orozco.   It's not plagiarism, my story plot, themes, etc are very different.  But I was inspired by Parker's free-flow-stream of conscious style and Orozco's awesome ability to make the ordinary challenging and subversive.  Should I acknowledge that with a disclaimer? 

"This story was inspired by the great work and voices of  Dorothy Parker and Daniel Orozco." for example ?
FFC CH1: G46 Fantasy/A market/A rope swing
The Witching Hour (Fantasy)

This is an emotionally satisfying ending.
crumbs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crumbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:44pm
Hi Jeanbrown, 

I don't think in your case any disclaimer is needed because using a style of writing inspired by another writer's style does not mislead readers into believing something that is fictitious about the other writer. 

However, my disclaimer was included because even though the place in my story really does exist, and the people who owned that place really did exist, the events that happened in the story did not really happen.

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
However, after reading this post, I did go back and google my main character's name, to see if there was anyone with the same name that I might have inadvertently maligned. Luckily, there is no one named Ronald J. Trump.
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

However, after reading this post, I did go back and google my main character's name, to see if there was anyone with the same name that I might have inadvertently maligned. Luckily, there is no one named Ronald J. Trump.

LOL Ha ha, love it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic