NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Damning with faint praise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damning with faint praise
    Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
I know after finishing first and second in the last two NYCM fiction contests, I don't have much to complain about when it comes to judging. That being said, as an example that prior success doesn't exactly guarantee future rewards:

In the "what the judges liked" section of my semi-final round story (didn't finish in the top eight), one of them stated--

"I like your use of em dashes."

Yeah, that's kinda like congratulating me when I pee by saying "you managed to get most of it in the toilet."

Ouch.

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
Did they say why they liked the em dashes? That would have been more helpful.

I didn't make the next round either, although I did get HM, which I wasn't expecting. The judges comments for my story were pretty concise and helpful, and I'm hoping to strengthen my story a bit before I publish it on my patreon page.

But this now makes me wonder: is there a way we can ask the judges for more clarification if we get a vague statement like that?

Edited by roccapia - 14 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm
PrestonLeytonNelson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PrestonLeytonNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:08pm
Wow. That "positive" comment is....yeah. I mean I almost think itd be better if the judge had left it blank--it's like when someone says they can't come to your birthday party because they have to wash their hair.

I for one am really surprised that you didn't place in the top 8 @td333777! I thought your submission was so gripping! I was so impressed by it, I even sent it to my fiance to read. But I guess you never can tell what they're looking for Confused
Short Story - R2 GR31 (Ghost) - Awakening Your Death's Purpose

FFC 2018 - The Date - 1st Place
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:42pm
Thanks Preston, I appreciate it!!
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 4:01pm
Wait, they're not "end dashes"?!
Lamp
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
tanyazina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tanyazina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:16pm
When discussing the latest round of results, a friend pointed to your entry as one that she was mystified didn't go through (I agreed). We were both curious to see your feedback as we couldn't make sense of it.

This has only deepened the mystery. I mean, this is not a Emily Bronte level use of the em dash - it was just a function of a character who knew what someone was going to say before they said it (see what I did there?).

I greatly enjoyed your story, and not only did the pee end up in the toilet, it was flushed beautifully. Hope to read more in the short story contest.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:59pm
Whoa!! Seriously? You've mastered the em-dash, young grasshopper. Big smile

My sense was that the judges were phoning it in. Something must be wrong at NYC Midnight headquarters recently. 
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm
So weird. I felt like my feedback was really good and thoughtful this go-round, so I *hope* it wasn't an epidemic.

I do love a good em-dash.

Also, I was head over heels for this story of yours!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:10pm
That's....different. I mean, I've seen some odd praise, but that's the first time I have ever seen a compliment on em dash use. 

Maybe they'd seen enough rampant em dash abuse they felt it was praiseworthy?
Rainbowsockmonkey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rainbowsockmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

That's....different. I mean, I've seen some odd praise, but that's the first time I have ever seen a compliment on em dash use. 

Maybe they'd seen enough rampant em dash abuse they felt it was praiseworthy?

I think it's sincere praise. In SSC, I placed first in a round and the first comment from the judges was "Appropriately used em dashes? Be still my heart."  A good em dash = good pace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>