NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crime Caper questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crime Caper questions
    Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 5:47pm
First time writer for this contest and have rewritten my first paragraph about 5 times now.

I had a few questions about a crime caper story:
- Can it be written in a dark tone?
- Can it have aspects of other genres, like fantasy or horror in it?
- Can anyone point to me to an excellent short crime caper story online?

Thanks

~Len
Sponsored Links

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:40pm
Hi!  I think you can include both of the first two questions in the write.  Though the second question you will have to make sure that the main theme of the story is the crime caper.  Think of Oceans 11 - had no darker side, The Italian job - this one did have a darker side.
purplelen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:45pm
Thanks
I think I'm figuring out the story!
josephine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:06am
Hi Purplelen, I am also struggling somewhat with crime caper...  What heat are you in?  If we are in different heats perhaps we could bash heads..  I'm in heat 8 (crime caper; an invitation; a surgeon).  you?
purplelen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:09am
Hi Josephine, I'm in heat 20. Should have a draft by Thursday evening of some sort if you want to get some ideas. I have a blizzard and a 5-year old boy.
josephine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:13am
Originally posted by purplelen purplelen wrote:

Hi Josephine, I'm in heat 20. Should have a draft by Thursday evening of some sort if you want to get some ideas. I have a blizzard and a 5-year old boy.

A blizzard sounds fun and workable!  I hope to be far ahead of where I am now by Thurs but yes, it'd be great to see how you've done if that would be alright with you.  I'm definitely finding it tricky, not being a consumer of any kind of crime genre!
purplelen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purplelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:11am
Same! Let's exchange whatever we have by Thursday. I'll upload it to a google doc.
Sysanet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sysanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:25pm
My Crime Caper for the Flash Fiction had a darker tone and got me to round 3. ^^ {I'll link it to you if you would like to read it.}

Mixing Genres should be fine so long as your primary genre is still obvious. 

I'm in heat 56 and got Crime Caper/running out of a supply of something/orphan. 
josephine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Sysanet Sysanet wrote:

My Crime Caper for the Flash Fiction had a darker tone and got me to round 3. ^^ {I'll link it to you if you would like to read it.}

Mixing Genres should be fine so long as your primary genre is still obvious. 

I'm in heat 56 and got Crime Caper/running out of a supply of something/orphan. 

Sysanet, I would love to read your Flash fiction crime caper!  I'm a little concerned that I may be leaning a little too heavily into comedy genre, but I have a way to go with my writing yet so will see how it pans out and tweak it later in the editing process.  It's taken me quite a while to ascertain my plot and so on so have to go with what I have for now I think :)

I'll be very happy to exchange with you on Thurs evening if you like too
Sysanet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sysanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by josephine josephine wrote:

Sysanet, I would love to read your Flash fiction crime caper!  I'm a little concerned that I may be leaning a little too heavily into comedy genre, but I have a way to go with my writing yet so will see how it pans out and tweak it later in the editing process.  It's taken me quite a while to ascertain my plot and so on so have to go with what I have for now I think :)

I'll be very happy to exchange with you on Thurs evening if you like too

Double Trouble

Crime Caper is far from my preferred genre to write, but I enjoy a challenge. 

Crime Capers are generally rather comedic, so you're probably fine as far as that goes. ^^ I'm ready for final revisions tomorrow. Just waiting on my copy editor to look over my story, but he doesn't get off of work until 1am.

I would love to exchange stories with everyone Thursday night.

Edited by Sysanet - 24 Jan 2017 at 11:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic