NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contest rule compliance: responsibility.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoraca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 3:25pm
Ninja, I let my story slide at 1021 words because I checked the rules... and format comprised 10% of the scoring. Underneath format, word count was listed. Now yes, I took a chance submitting over the defined word limit, and I did post repeatedly asking whether or not going over the word limit would result in a disqualification (to no avail).

One of the caveats of competing in this kind of faceless, internet competition is that things might not be 100% consistent or 100% legitimate. Not to say the rules aren't there for a reason, but I will say I would have placed stories entirely differently based upon what I read. This is an excercise in writing and creativity, and goddammit, it's fun! I had fun when I got second place in the first round, and I had fun when I got in last place in the screenwriting competition earlier this year Confused One thing I know going into these contests is the opportunity for practice, critique from a small anonymous audience, and critiquing other people's (generally) great stories is worth the price of participating alone. Placing and/or winning prizes is just the icing on the cake. I would never, EVER compete in these competitions if I didn't post for review. I just don't see the point. You get twenty times the amount of suggestions, criticism, ideas, reflections upon your work. If you're only here for the money and the prizes, you're in the wrong field. The prizes just add to the (friendly? playful?) competition, and help force us to push ourselves past our own limits.

That said, I understand some of ABC's concerns, but leave the lit. journal expectations with the lit. journals. I came here to practice, refine my skills, and learn. That said, I was able shave my second story to 995 Smile Check it out below!

Edited by tmoraca - 08 Sep 2008 at 3:45pm
Short Story Challenge 2012

Round 2, Group 3, What I Remember
alexander View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 3:36pm
...douche...

i just have to say that that word always makes me laugh

you called him a douche
now thats comedy

Edited by alexander - 08 Sep 2008 at 3:36pm
NinjaHero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by tmoraca tmoraca wrote:

Ninja, I let my story slide at 1021 words because I checked the rules... and format comprised 10% of the scoring. Underneath format, word count was listed.

Other than that, this guy's a douche.

I know you did Tim, and I really appreciate you letting us know. I don't think anyone here is trying to attack your story. Your story was awesome. We are just trying to figure out the rules.

I just think everyone wants to know how much they can write. If we are allowed to turn in 1100 word say, we just want to know.

To be really fair you asked in the Q&A forum and they never answered you. So we are more upset that they ignored your question and thereby didn't let any of us know the rule. Sorry your story got dragged into this. :)
tmoraca View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoraca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 3:47pm
Hah, I edited "douche" out and replaced it with a more well thought out response after reading more replies. Alexander, sorry to be a killjoy. I, too, love that word. And I agree, a set standard for overshooting the word count would be miiiighty helpful.

Edited by tmoraca - 08 Sep 2008 at 3:48pm
Short Story Challenge 2012

Round 2, Group 3, What I Remember
TBC1228 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBC1228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:18pm
It sounds like abx-xyz went into this contest with different expectations from most of us. This person has already published flash fiction and wanted to see the contest rules cast in stone.

I agree with abc-xyz about the ambiguity in the rules.

In the pdf file, "Official Rules"...
"22. Disqualifications - The LLC reserves the right to disqualify an Entrant or Entered Story that does not comply with these Official Rules and other Contest requirements from time to time communicated by the LLC."

The "reserve the right" thing is the loophole that lets the judges do as they wish regarding story length, genre, synopsis, etc.

Based on what I've read here today, how do I know that the judges are docking us for using too many words or writing in the wrong genre? Worse, how do I know if they are disqualifying us? Are they consistent?

If I screw up, I'd rather be disqualified.    

sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:37pm
Then it sounds like you maybe should have taken your $35 elsewhere, TBC?  There's always that choice, and we all had it.  The rules are clearly posted with a Q&A forum for questions.  If people don't like the answers (or don't get answers), and that is bothersome enough, then where does the responsibility lie once someone coughs up their entry fee?

(I mean that as a sincere question...)

JoeK
mra061818 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mra061818 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Skylark Skylark wrote:

I have to call you out though, abc, on your post beginning "This morning, I was gravely disappointed when I saw who placed in Challenge ..."

We are all competing in this together, and for you to single out a fellow writer for such venom is uncalled-for and unsportsmanlike. 

\

Skylark, he/she (abc-xyz) wasn't singling out one person. He said Challenge #1 of Round #1, which meant ALL of the winners in the first challenge...not the winner of the competition in group #1.
Skylark View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:02pm
MRA, then I got it wrong in that sense, and I apologize.

I do stand by the concept that we are all facing the same challenge, and that to express grave disappointment in others' success is unkind.

Cheers?
HughDeppman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughDeppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:19pm
Wow, those links ABC provided are a gold-mine.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 4:55am
I love the "drabble"!  Just makes me laugh!

JoeK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>