NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

contest question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snidely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: contest question
    Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 8:55pm
hey powers that be, can you give me any idea as to how rigidly our stories have to adhere to the subject? is it enough for the stories to involve the subject, or do they have to be centered on the subject? and is it a question of being downgraded depending on how far we stray, or of being disqualified if we stray too far?
johnnyd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 3:08am
I don't know if the powers that be would answer a question posted here; outside the occassional announcement from nycmidnight, these tend to be for the participants only. I think there's a link for questions on the heat assignments page.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw
crlncxn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crlncxn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 4:08am
   "Feel free to interpret your genre and subject in uniquely creative ways...we're looking for interesting and inventive stories. But also know that we won't be able to accept stories that are completely off of the genre or subject you are given. [For example; if your assigned genre is drama, a story that reads as an outright comedy will most likely be disqualified.]" - this is what it says in the notification e-mail.

Good luck everyone!

I'm pleased! (Got Ghost Story - not Monster or Horror!)

snidely View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snidely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 8:19am
thanks much, both of you. i'd seen that text somewhere, but i couldn't find it again. anyway, best of luck to both of you. i got a thriller about electricity. could be worse i guess.
dralfonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dralfonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 1:05pm
I've got a quesiton about liabel.  What if you are writing a story that takes a real , well known author's life and work, and fictionalizes it. Can you use their real name, since they are public figures, or do you have to use a pseudoame?  If you have to use a pseudoname, do you also have to make it so that he is not recognizable?  Cause the whole point of my story is premised on the reader recognizing this persona as a character. 
Hope some of you with more expeirence as me might be able to help me with this quesiton!
Cheers, Alfonso
"The unlived life is not worth examining." Zizek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic