NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge 4 Titles and Loglines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

So for some reason I decided this was as good a time as any to attempt historical fiction, a genre which I've never really wanted in these competitions. I just found something in research that I couldn't let go of.  Although I like the idea, I think it may be too much for a five page screenplay. My mantra with these short form comps is stick to two or three characters max... that did not happen this time! 

Anyway, the mix of genres and stories so far is intriguing - can't wait to read them!

Red Army Knife

An army utility knife engraved with a Russian proverb is passed down through generations of a family in Leningrad. How each holder of the knife interprets those words is pivotal to the role they play during three seminal periods of Russian history.

Given my history with Russia...yeah, going to read this.  I met my wife in St. Petersburg.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Sponsored Links

rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

So for some reason I decided this was as good a time as any to attempt historical fiction, a genre which I've never really wanted in these competitions. I just found something in research that I couldn't let go of.  Although I like the idea, I think it may be too much for a five page screenplay. My mantra with these short form comps is stick to two or three characters max... that did not happen this time! 

Anyway, the mix of genres and stories so far is intriguing - can't wait to read them!

Red Army Knife

An army utility knife engraved with a Russian proverb is passed down through generations of a family in Leningrad. How each holder of the knife interprets those words is pivotal to the role they play during three seminal periods of Russian history.

Given my history with Russia...yeah, going to read this.  I met my wife in St. Petersburg.

I’ve only been once but I loved the city. I’m weirdly fascinated by Russia and Russian history. I’ve attempted too much story for five pages but enjoyed the research! 
R4 SSC Red Army Knife
R3 SSC Martha
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Embarrassed aw thanks! It definitely drug me down at one point, but couldn't give up completely. I'm glad I was finally able to piece something together that I don't loathe like the first two efforts. Thanks so much for all you did this weekend!! You and Random are my saviors!

Can't speak for anyone else, but all I did was throw ideas at the wall.  If one of them stuck it was all about your ability to envision a story that you found appealing.  It was your talent that got you into the finals in the first place.

The ability to bounce ideas off other people shouldn't be undervalued, but neither should that spark that makes you the writer you are.

Aw, you're making me all warm and fuzzy feeling lol. But definitely having springboards for ideas (and to toss their own out there that create a spark) are invaluable, as well as the reader who will say "no. This isn't your best." Without you guys, I may very well have given up and submitted my first effort, which was absolutely not final-worthy. I *think* this finished product is, but even if it doesn't get an hm, I'm glad I was able to push through and not give up. And for that, I thank you both!  
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
Slugs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Slugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:54pm
All of these loglines sound amazing! This is my first NYC comp, and I've been kind of screwing up the courage to actually post something in the forums - so, here we go. Can't wait to read everyone's work! 

Finding Violet 

After a major accident, a woman seeks out the services of a company that can re-allocate its clients into a parallel life of their choice. 
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Slugs Slugs wrote:

All of these loglines sound amazing! This is my first NYC comp, and I've been kind of screwing up the courage to actually post something in the forums - so, here we go. Can't wait to read everyone's work! 

Finding Violet 

After a major accident, a woman seeks out the services of a company that can re-allocate its clients into a parallel life of their choice. 

Sounds great! Please, please post it you get the go-ahead!!!
SSC3 - The Well-trained Thing in Constance's Dress

SC1 - Alejandro Cruz and His Planetary Pirates
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm

Finding Violet 

Well, heck!  Welcome to the forums!  Most of the people here have had their rabies shots, a few are a little late on their distemper, and once in a while someone hacks up a hairball, but mostly we're civilized.  Ish.  Big smile

Thanks for posting; looking forward to reading the screenplay when the all-clear wounds.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm

Finding Violet 

Yay!!! So glad you finally joined in the forum and congrats on making it to the finals! The forum to me is what makes the contest the most worthwhile around, everyone is so great at giving advice and feedback, beta-ing for each other, etc. Even when we're in competition with one another, everyone here just wants to see each other do well . Welcome!!
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 8:05pm

Finding Violet 

Welcome!! I would love to read this story and am so glad you’re posting with us!
SSC R2: Spinback

Screenplay R1: A Thousand Stings
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 8:31pm

Finding Violet 

Welcome to the insanity! Smile Your script sounds awesome - please post when we get the all-clear! And congrats on making it to the final (and surviving the weekend with these prompts!)
Slugs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 9:11pm
Will do!! And I'm so excited to start giving feedback on everyone else's! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic