NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge #3 - Title & Synopsis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by anomalie anomalie wrote:

Ok, people: Comedy/Vintage Clothing Store/Aluminum Foil

Duds of the Dead

Burt Beckley survived a zombie apocalypse, not that anyone cares about that now.  His next challenge is shopping with his teenage daughter.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this...

Pros: It involves zombies.

Cons: I can't figure out whether I was on drugs when I wrote it, or should have been.  The character's name is in the synopsis, but never mentioned in the story. And I've already found a typo... Cry

Well, for what it's worth, I think it sounds hilarious!

Edited by jenspenden - 26 Oct 2015 at 5:15pm
Sponsored Links

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by telera telera wrote:

Originally posted by Thewytch Thewytch wrote:

. . . I hope we still get two shots at getting through to the next round!

Sorry, Thewytch, for Round 2_Challenge 3 there are no points given as such. Only the top five advance to the final. The Flash Fiction Challenge Round 1 is the only time two stories are guaranteed. 

Good luck! 

Soo... I get that the top five advance - is there no indication of how everyone else did?  or are you just saying that the 'points' don't count for anything, since only the first five go anywhere?

(Thanks for helping us nobs understand how this works!)
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
Eggcorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Sorry, Thewytch, for Round 2_Challenge 3 there are no points given as such. Only the top five advance to the final. The Flash Fiction Challenge Round 1 is the only time two stories are guaranteed. 

Good luck! 

Soo... I get that the top five advance - is there no indication of how everyone else did?  or are you just saying that the 'points' don't count for anything, since only the first five go anywhere?

No points. The first five are listed, I think even alphabetically.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by anomalie anomalie wrote:

Ok, people: Comedy/Vintage Clothing Store/Aluminum Foil

Duds of the Dead

Burt Beckley survived a zombie apocalypse, not that anyone cares about that now.  His next challenge is shopping with his teenage daughter.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this...

Pros: It involves zombies.

Cons: I can't figure out whether I was on drugs when I wrote it, or should have been.  The character's name is in the synopsis, but never mentioned in the story. And I've already found a typo... Cry

Well…. sounds like a hilarious premise to me! And completely different from where I went with mine… Also, your synopsis is 100x better than mine. Tongue
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Eggcorn Eggcorn wrote:

Thanks - appreciate understanding what to expect!
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by BPM BPM wrote:

Title: Posing
Synopsis: A father grieves at a Vintage Clothing Store.

Group 8: Comedy, Aluminum foil, Vintage Clothing Store.

I don't feel great about this one.  It's a good story, but comedy is hard.  I used to have a friend who wrote for sitcoms.  She used to say that it's easier to wake up and find a boyfriend (she was single) than it is to wake up and be funny on command.  I now understand her position more clearly!

"Funny on Command" is now officially the synopsis of a horror story. Because I can't recall the last time I was so scared!
I like to think I'm funny in real life, but to sit down in front of the computer and tell myself, "Be funny. NOW!" was terrifying.
This story sounds promising. Can't wait to read what my fellow 8s came up with. Mine is decidedly not great.

Edited by Lookit There - 26 Oct 2015 at 7:05pm
Fionars View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fionars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 8:51pm
Group 2: Drama/A dermatologists office/A beer bottle

Under My Skin

Plunged into personal crisis, a talented doctor relies on professional habits to get him through. 

Rcudlitz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcudlitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:13pm
Group 1
Ghost Story
A forest
A saw

"Some Souls Stay"

Synopsis: A woman tells a tale about the the souls who haunt the forests she grew up in - which ones are just stories made up by her grandmother and which ones are, tragically, real.
Sent from planet Earth
salgal80 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salgal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Originally posted by BPM BPM wrote:

Title: Posing
Synopsis: A father grieves at a Vintage Clothing Store.

Group 8: Comedy, Aluminum foil, Vintage Clothing Store.

I don't feel great about this one.  It's a good story, but comedy is hard.  I used to have a friend who wrote for sitcoms.  She used to say that it's easier to wake up and find a boyfriend (she was single) than it is to wake up and be funny on command.  I now understand her position more clearly!

"Funny on Command" is now officially the synopsis of a horror story. Because I can't recall the last time I was so scared!
I like to think I'm funny in real life, but to sit down in front of the computer and tell myself, "Be funny. NOW!" was terrifying.
This story sounds promising. Can't wait to read what my fellow 8s came up with. Mine is decidedly not great.

Dang.  I could have put you in a tunnel with a laptop and a stopwatch for the deadline and group 3: done!  LOL!
SSC Rd 1 Heat 114

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/rd1-heat-114-absolution-a-ghost-story_topic16876.html
salgal80 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salgal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Eggcorn Eggcorn wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Good luck! 

Do they give "honroable mention" like they do for short story?
SSC Rd 1 Heat 114

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/rd1-heat-114-absolution-a-ghost-story_topic16876.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic