NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge 3 Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:29pm
I'm worried too, and I feel a certain amount of hopelessness about how only the top three from 25 group members will go through. Last year, you had to be in the top four. Now three!! (I'm suddenly visualizing everyone saying, "Oh no! My story has to be in the top three? Why? Why?" Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.) AARRRRGH. Dead

I buy lottery tickets. That way, if my story doesn't make the cut, I still have the upcoming lottery drawing to look forward to. It lessens the despair. 
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
Sponsored Links

Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I'm worried too, and I feel a certain amount of hopelessness about how only the top three from 25 group members will go through. Last year, you had to be in the top four. Now three!! (I'm suddenly visualizing everyone saying, "Oh no! My story has to be in the top three? Why? Why?" Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.) AARRRRGH. Dead

I buy lottery tickets. That way, if my story doesn't make the cut, I still have the upcoming lottery drawing to look forward to. It lessens the despair.
I'm almost positive that it used to be top five (I could be wrong), but I definitely remember when it was top four.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:49pm
For once, I wish it would be Wednesday. I have plans Tuesday night, and can't imagine I'll have a moment's peace wondering if I made it or not... Will have to wait until I get home later that night to find out. Argh!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:44pm
I am torn between really wanting to move on, and having like four things with deadlines starting on the 16th so it would be one less excuse to procrastinate. And there's the SSC to anticipate, too. 

On the other hand, I'm kind of pleased with what I've turned out so far so it would be a letdown not to move on. In fact one of those deadlines involves turning the Ch3 story into something longer for a submission call. 
R1 Intruder Alert 13pt
R2 Apples to Apples 8pt
R3 GhostLife
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

For once, I wish it would be Wednesday. I have plans Tuesday night, and can't imagine I'll have a moment's peace wondering if I made it or not... Will have to wait until I get home later that night to find out. Argh!

I'm with you. My Tuesday work schedule is absolutely insane, and if results come early, I'm going to be absolutely helpless to settle into despair if I don't move on, and equally helpless to do a happy dance if I move on. If they string us along until midnight, I may not be able to stay awake that long!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:19am

I'm sorta zen about the whole results thing. Would I be thrilled to advance - of course! However, I've never made it to the finals before, so perhaps my expectations are tempered by that. A couple of 1st HM's (which stings that much more knowing you missed by the skin of your teeth.) Still, I won't have a heck of a lot of heartburn if I don't hit top three. My group was really strong, and that was just the folks that posted. 

It is nice to know that the list will come out on Tuesday though - I can hold off planning too much stuff for next weekend just in case! 
FFC3 Anomaly
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:11pm

@Lookit There - yes, it did used to be the top 5. But as this comp grew, cuts had to be made. Btw, I’m betting on you to make it thru to the final round. 

@nod1v1ng- I’ve been doing this comp for 10 years now and I’ve only made it to finals lol once. Sine 2015 I’ve been publishing my work fairly steady, but I can’t even win frigging software here. So believe me, I understand. 

@Zelda. Lucky you. My state doesn’t have the lottery. I must console myself with booze and wild sex. 

Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

@Zelda. Lucky you. My state doesn’t have the lottery. I must console myself with booze and wild sex. 

I feel your pain. Approve We must make do with what we have. 

< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:07am
The fact that only the top three is moving on is definitely kind of a bummer (and I just learned it used to be more!!), because I read more than three deserving stories from my own group! So it sort of feels similar to buying lottery tickets lol. Especially because I had never written comedy before. So I'm trying not to stress over it (not fully succeeding)... Smile

Edited by emilymyoga - 08 Dec 2018 at 10:08am
FF CH1: The Magician's Wife (14 pts)
FF CH2: What Sisters Do (11 pts)
FF CH3: Heaving Upward
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by emilymyoga emilymyoga wrote:

The fact that only the top three is moving on is definitely kind of a bummer (and I just learned it used to be more!!), because I read more than three deserving stories from my own group! So it sort of feels similar to buying lottery tickets lol. Especially because I had never written comedy before. So I'm trying not to stress over it (not fully succeeding)... Smile

The REAL nail-biter? We don't see all the entries in our heats. I was third in the first challenge in my heat and neither of the two who finished ahead of me were posted to the forums, so I have no idea what the judges liked about theirs. So no matter what we read on here there's other stories...lurking...

I really need to just work on other things and stop thinking about it! I'd feel better if I was "meh" about my story or hated it. 
R1 Intruder Alert 13pt
R2 Apples to Apples 8pt
R3 GhostLife
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic