NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge 3 info/details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Challenge 3 info/details
    Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:05pm
So, maybe I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist, but I thought I heard that the game is different in challenge 3 and 4. All I’ve found so far are the paragraphs pasted below, which sounds identical to challenge 1/2. Can anyone who has done it explain how things might be different?

Thank you!

CHALLENGE #3 ASSIGNMENT
If your name is highlighted in yellow on the results page, congratulations on placing in the top 5 and advancing to the 2nd Round kicking off in 48 hours from the time of this email!  Advancing writers will be placed in new groups and will receive a unique genre, location, and object assignment for their 1,000 word maximum stories.  An assignment email with all the details will be sent at 11:59PM EST on Friday, November 9th and the link to the groups on nycmidnight.com will also be posted to our Facebook and Twitter pages.  Best of luck to the finalists this weekend and thank you again to everyone for participating!

——

Challenge #3: November 9-11, 2018

The top 5 writers that advanced from each group will be divided into new groups and there will be up to 25 groups for the third challenge.  Each group is assigned a new genre, location, and object and have 2 days to submit a 1,000 word story.  The top 3 writers from each group will advance to the fourth and final challenge.

Edited by KelsNotChels - 08 Nov 2018 at 2:13pm
Sponsored Links

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by KelsNotChels KelsNotChels wrote:

So, maybe I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist, but I thought I heard that the game is different in challenge 3 and 4. All I’ve found so far are the paragraphs pasted below, which sounds identical to challenge 1/2. Can anyone who has done it explain how things might be different?

Round 2 is only different b/c only the top three advance (instead of five.) Also a new group assignment.

Round 3 - the finals - usually is "open genre", other than that, also the same.

Edited by nod1v1ng - 08 Nov 2018 at 2:07pm
FFC3 Anomaly
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:22pm
My guess is that it'll be 20 heats of 25 people. Top three of 25 advance, and the group of 25 is substantially more competitive than the initial group of 30 that we all went through in round 1. I've been in four NYC Midnight contests and made it to the semi-final/round two in each of them--I've always found this round to be even more challenging than the final. At least in the final, the top twenty (out of 60-75) get prizes or recognition. In the semi, it's 3/25--you have to bring the serious A game in order to advance.

No pressure.

:)
FFC 2018 Ch3 G2 - Head Game
FFC 2017 - 1st place
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

In the semi, it's 3/25--you have to bring the serious A game in order to advance.

Truth. I've made the semi's every time I've participated. Never made it to the finals. Yet.
FFC3 Anomaly
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:04pm
I'm a little intimidated. Glad to have made it through, but I'm REALLY gonna have to up my game, I think. And I have so little time to write this weekend. Confused
FFC CH3 G3: Liberty Lane
FFC CH2 G78: Happy New Year 11 pts
FFC CH1 G78: Coward 13 pts
vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm
Yeah, Round 3 is pretty much the same as Round 2 otherwise, except of course you're in a new group so you'll be actively competing with different writers.

Just write something you like and be proud that you made it this far because it's a big accomplishment!
kizernix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:38pm
Open Genre will be AWESOME after drawing Rom-Com last round Evil Smile 

Read my Challenge #3 Story:

Be Careful What You Ouija For
florensa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote florensa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:32pm
hi guys, first time in this comp... do our scores from round 1 carry through? Like are the people who got through on very high scores in better standing to advance?
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by florensa florensa wrote:

hi guys, first time in this comp... do our scores from round 1 carry through? Like are the people who got through on very high scores in better standing to advance?

Nope. Clean slate in the next round.
florensa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote florensa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:37pm
joy, because I barely scraped through haha. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic