NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C1 G42 The Space Within

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.P.N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C1 G42 The Space Within
    Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:15pm

The Space Within

"I don't know why you think we can find something here that the drone couldn't. " Clyde said, strapping on his hard hat.

"You can't replace human intuition." John glanced back at the mining robot and it looked back at him with its camera eyes.

"It's not showing anything unusual. What did you see?"

"I'm sure I saw an energy spike. I'll have to tell headquarters..."

"They aren't going to come here just for that." Clyde took out a knife and unscrewed D-32's back panel, taking control of the robot. He directed it to the wall and began excavating. The wall collapsed. John shined a light into the hole. The cavern inside twinkled, filled with dark blue crystals. John pulled the scanner back out of his pocket and pointed it at a crystal.

"It's off the charts! If they already have this much energy, can you imagine what they could do once they're processed? This could solve the fuel problem! Clyde-" John spun around and was met with a laser to the face. "What-"

"Don't take this personally, John. I need to get off this dying rock."

"Clyde, we can split the money. You don't have to-"  A laser shot straight through John's head and bounced off a crystal on the back wall, spraying reflected laser beams all over the room. All the crystals that were hit began to glow and expand. Clyde's eyes widened and he fell to the ground. One by one, the crystals exploded.

Sci-Fi/wearing a hard hat/process

Edited by A.P.N. - 19 Oct 2021 at 9:37pm
Minnihaha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minnihaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:28am
What a great story! Well written, makes me want to read on.  Well done and thanks for sharing :)
Ally View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 2:00am
Hi Groupmate,

Great story. You created so much drama and such high stakes in such a short time. Also great use of description to paint the scene so vividly and give a sense of the characters personalities, even the mining robot seemed to have a persona :) "John glanced back at the mining robot and it looked back at him with its camera eyes".

Well Done and Good Luck.
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:31am
Ooo...the space within Clyde's heart is empty and greedy. A classic story of greed and desperation. I enjoyed this! I like that you threaded the moral in here of what avarice results in. Consequences! 

My only suggestion is super minor, but it might be effective to put "the wall collapsed" on its own line (as it's embedded in the paragraph I almost missed it). it's an important plot point and it would add emphasis to a shift in the action.  But I wouldn't change anything else, and even if you didn't change it it is still awesome. I like the characterization, the world building, and the setting. Good job with the prompts too! Awesome to see another scifi entry!  

Thanks for stopping by my story! I'm glad I got to read yours. :)
Russellhaydn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russellhaydn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 4:12am
Best I've read so far.
Emorra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emorra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm
Excellent lesson on how greed and crime don't pay! LOL I liked the beginning and how at the end of the day, you really can't replace human intuition. Too bad John didn't have any intuition on what was going to happen once they uncovered such a jackpot! You chose a great section of this discovery to show, and I found myself wishing you had more words to explain how Clive felt after the crystals were ruined. Good story, and good luck!
AGS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 1:04pm
Hello Groupmate,

I enjoyed your use of the prompts and the story as a whole. 

I feel like the Robot's camera eyes were more knowing than John could have ever imagined...
HardtobetheBard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HardtobetheBard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:54pm
Very impressive how you got so much action and plot development into so few words! I loved the strong image of the twinkling crystal-filled cavern as well! Great work!
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 5:16am
Love this, the imagery is brilliant and I was hooked from the start. In the beginning I thought this would be about the robot but then it twists to being about good old human greed. Very skillful writing.

Edited by UK5AM - 04 Jan 2022 at 8:14am
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
 Post Reply Post Reply