NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brace yourselves. Wednesday is coming.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brace yourselves. Wednesday is coming.
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:44am
Funny how YEASTERDAY, someone was asking me if I ever got nervous about the competitions, here. My answer, almost too self-assured, was something like "At first, yeah, but now, no." 

Then this morning rolled in, and I started thinking about it some more.

Just now I went back to look at the list of competitors in my heat, and my heart sank in rememberance.

Jeff Howe. J_Fox. hwood. Splinker. rossiny. cheezo. (SteveDex, I don't know you, but I'm sure you'll shine, too, and I'll be getting on to your piece shortly!)

Bunch of fricking overachievers, all you lot. LOL

So, anyway...

Yeah, it's coming. The judges will bear down on us, an unwavering tide of destruction and glorification, all rolled into one. The survivors will stand up, watch the receding torrent as it carries the bodies of fallen contestants, and write on the desolate sands their R3 entries.

God damn.

Good luck, all.

Edit: Just noticed I'd written yeasterday instead of yesterday. Just know that I am aware, but chose to leave it there. Boldly. It is a tasty typo.

Edited by Zblugg - 12 Feb 2018 at 12:00pm
SSP C1 Dog Eat Dog
SSP C2 Dansu No Neko
Sponsored Links

J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
Ha! I hadn't done this contest since 2007. Back when there were only two rounds (I think), and the page limit was 15 or 20 (I know it was 20 at some point). Decided my kids were finally old enough to ignore, so I dove back in this year expecting absolutely nothing. But now I want to make the podium quite badly. I'm not nervous, but I will be disappointed if I don't move on. So, good luck to four of you in my group. Fight amongst yourselves for the worthless blessing it is.
2018SSC Ch1 (13pts): Emancipation
2018SSC Ch2: Birth of the Wild
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:05pm
As always, I go in with absolutely no expectations, just a hope for the best. Each time I don’t advance, it gets a little less soul-crushing, because I know I’ll pick myself up and enter the next round. But each time I do well, it’s still as sweet.

Is what it is at this point.

Best of luck to everyone - some major talent here on the boards. I’ve learned so much from all of you...thank you.

Tick tock.
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm
ah sh*t I still owe some feedback. I'll see if I can do that tonight
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:22pm
Lisa: Learning is part of why I love this whole adventure, so I'm right there with you.

Ed: SAME! I haven't got to yours, for starters... I'm slowly catching up. I'll get to it before the clock strikes twelve Wednesday night!

J_Fox: I was actually READING YOUR PIECE when some dang PERSON (my boss) walked in my cube over lunch. Who does that? OVER LUNCH? Way to ruin everything, boss. LOL

Edited by Zblugg - 12 Feb 2018 at 1:23pm
SSP C1 Dog Eat Dog
SSP C2 Dansu No Neko
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:56pm
ah it's always a day later than I think :/

apart from when it's a day earlier
thevmoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thevmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:27pm
I've been a bronchitisaurus rex the last 3 weeks, horrible stuff! It was a good distraction from waiting, but now that it's finally clearing up I'm happy to hopefully get back to some reviews! Another good way to pass the time
tomsk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:57pm
I'm managing my own expectations about the Valentine's Day Ego Massacre based on the fact that I had comedy, and I don't have a sense of humour. And I didn't really like my own script.  Also the building next to my office burned down today. And I got stung by a jellyfish when I was swimming yesterday. And my favourite barista wasn't working today so my coffee sucked ass.

When the universe gives you lemons leave them in the fruit bowl until they go mouldy then chuck them out shouting, "I f**king hate lemons."
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by tomsk tomsk wrote:

When the universe gives you lemons leave them in the fruit bowl until they go mouldy then chuck them out shouting, "I f**king hate lemons."

What??  Give them to me, I'll make pan fried fish with lemon-butter-caper sauce!  Yum.
2018 Kurtz Screenplay R2: Преступник
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:46am
Waiting for this in my inbox:

Roses are Red
Violets are Frisky
You didn't advance
So go drink some Whisky
SSC2018 CH1 G25 Noble Rot (Fairy Tale)-15 pts
SSC2018 CH2 G25 Cultivar (Horror)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic