NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Betas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on the sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Betas?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:26pm
Hi all! This is my first screenwriting competition, and wondered if there was a similar tradition for finding beta readers in this group as there was in the Short Story competition? I haven't seen any links to a spreadsheet or a Swap Spot or similar (maybe we use this thread for exchanging info if there isn't a place already?) 

In other words, I'd be thrilled to have some beta readers and will return the favor to the best of my ability! 

Thanks! 

Genre: TRILLER
Subject: A Guarantee
Character: Doppelganger

EDIT: 

Email me at slybrand at gmail dot com for a copy and I will respond in kind.  

Thank you! Good luck, all! 

-sly

Edited by on the sly - 27 Mar 2021 at 2:09am
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:32pm
The beta spreadsheet thread is the 11th one down from this one in the screenwriting bar & lounge forum. Smile
on the sly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote on the sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:41pm
THANK YOU! I guess I missed it :-) 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 11:31pm
Also probably not a good idea to leave your script here for everyone to read while the contest is still going! :)
Screenwriting R2 G1 - Fight or Flight (Historical Fiction)
on the sly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on the sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:59am
Ha, thank you! I immediately tried to delete my query (since it didn't seem needed anymore), but was only able to make an edit (ie, suggest a connection via email instead) :-).  

Okay. Suuuuper dumb question here. But...is/was there something that could go wrong by putting ascr ipt up before the contest is over? What could...happen? Like, I guess I hadn't even considered that in a forum where people are actually congregating to put their scripts up to be read, before/after, in beta, etc -- that there could be a world, or a channel, where people were anything other than totally supportive and helpful. OOF. I either don't want to live in that world, or am too embarrassed I didn't know it existed. So should I be worried (and not specifically, bc I took it down - but existentially)?  

Like, how would I get sabotaged (or cheated) me in this way? Or is it, as I'm starting to suspect even as I type this, more that I had my real name on the title page there Cuz yeah, I totally did I realize that could be bad I guess (it being a contest rule, n all).  

FWIW, I'm actually just more curious, than paranoid. But regardless...curiosity documented, I'll be able to sleep now, lol. 

ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by on the sly on the sly wrote:

Ha, thank you! I immediately tried to delete my query (since it didn't seem needed anymore), but was only able to make an edit (ie, suggest a connection via email instead) :-).  

Okay. Suuuuper dumb question here. But...is/was there something that could go wrong by putting ascr ipt up before the contest is over? What could...happen? Like, I guess I hadn't even considered that in a forum where people are actually congregating to put their scripts up to be read, before/after, in beta, etc -- that there could be a world, or a channel, where people were anything other than totally supportive and helpful. OOF. I either don't want to live in that world, or am too embarrassed I didn't know it existed. So should I be worried (and not specifically, bc I took it down - but existentially)?  

Like, how would I get sabotaged (or cheated) me in this way? Or is it, as I'm starting to suspect even as I type this, more that I had my real name on the title page there Cuz yeah, I totally did I realize that could be bad I guess (it being a contest rule, n all).  

FWIW, I'm actually just more curious, than paranoid. But regardless...curiosity documented, I'll be able to sleep now, lol. 

I think the fear is that someone from your group, with the same prompts, COULD steal your script and submit it to the contest as their own. Not saying that anyone in this competition or forum would do that but I believe that is the basis behind waiting to post your story until after we receive emails telling us it's ok to post. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic