NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beta?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beta?
    Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:05pm
Hey
So what is this beta thing I keep reading? Can someone explain?
Edward
Sponsored Links

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
Hey Edward!

During each round, several people on the forum exchange scripts or stories as a way to get feedback from real readers before submitting to the judges! It's really great, and I highly recommend trying it out next time. :)

Usually someone starts a spreadsheet where interested people can list their email address.
ShSt19 R1 G129 ~ Bed Ridden (Crime Caper)
ShSc18 C3 G002 ~ Pox Party (Comedy)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:02am
^^ Seconded, you should definitely try it at least once. My first time I put my email address down just to see what the fuss was about and I haven't looked back! 
SSC CH3 Ammunition (Sci-Fi)
FF CH4 The Monitor (spy/thriller)
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:17am
Originally posted by efish efish wrote:

Hey
So what is this beta thing I keep reading? Can someone explain?
Edward

Def do this.

I started NYCM in their Flash competition, and my first few stories were "on my own." They were fine, but I was just kind of spraying words.

Having trusted readers take a look before I submitted--and even while I was developing the story--helped me focus the story.

I have uneven results--I've gotten 1st place in one round, and zero a few times, and scores everywhere--but the stories have really improved.

Scriptwriting is still very new to me (I've been writing stories since grade school, so I have a little more familiarity with the form), and it can really help to have a few people give insight. With five pages to work with, it can be difficult to cram in a coherent story in scriptwriting form.

Like others have said, sometimes someone volunteers to set up a Google spreadsheet where we post our names/email accounts for swapping. Sometimes we just PM (private message) someone.

There are also groups on Facebook and other social media where writers gather to swap stories and encourage each other.
If I love you, I have to make you conscious of the things you don't see ~ James Baldwin

2019 SSCR1 The Cold Truth
efish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:58pm
Steph, Becky, Stephen, thankyou so much for your replies. It’s something that i will definitely consider.
Good luck with the coming results!
Edward 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic