NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beta sheet for Short Story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:08pm
Can somebody please explain how the beta-exchange works? I haven't used a beta in this competition before, mainly because this is the first time I've managed to complete a draft with time to spare.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Nbelousova Nbelousova wrote:

Can somebody please explain how the beta-exchange works? I haven't used a beta in this competition before, mainly because this is the first time I've managed to complete a draft with time to spare.

You email/exchange your stories and feedback.  Use the sheet to find someone who is ‘open’, not in your group, and maybe prefers your genre.  Send them a quick email and ask if they’re able to read now.

A good idea to do, just so you can get more eyes and thoughts on your story before the deadline.
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by LilyCat LilyCat wrote:

Originally posted by eaintree eaintree wrote:

Looks like no one's made one, so here it is.

...aside from the usual columns I added a "just for fun" column at the end. Enjoy it but - it should go without saying - while everyone has editing privileges (google docs provides no other option) please don't add other random columns to the sheet, or some may find it unwieldy or too distracting to use.

You are an awesome human being for setting this up. Beta readers make this work so much better

Thanks - it only takes a few minutes. I find making the sheets a nice reset for my brain, before each comp. starts.
SC 2021, Mystery: Striking The Sun

Micro 100, 2021, Sci-fi: That Time Of The Month
kristink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:30am
Hi- Do you edit yourself or use an app? Do you know how much grammar and punctuation counts? 
Thank you!!!
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by kristink kristink wrote:

Hi- Do you edit yourself or use an app? Do you know how much grammar and punctuation counts? 
Thank you!!!

According to the official rules, spelling and grammar (which presumably includes punctuation) counts for 15%:

"15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length) 
15% Spelling and Grammar 
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)"
walkietalkiegg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkietalkiegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:55pm
Much thanks!!!!
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.

Saint Augustine
J. Williamson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Williamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by eaintree eaintree wrote:

Looks like no one's made one, so here it is.

...aside from the usual columns I added a "just for fun" column at the end. Enjoy it but - it should go without saying - while everyone has editing privileges (google docs provides no other option) please don't add other random columns to the sheet, or some may find it unwieldy or too distracting to use.

Dumb question time - can someone explain how exactly this beta sheet works? I know it's for proofreading each other's work, but is "open" as in open to people emailing you and asking to swap/critique stories or is it a one-way street? Maybe I'm just overthinking. TIA!Smile
Sincerely,
C.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:45pm

Not being picky here as I don't know how to make one of these, but perhaps your next one can have place for what time zone the person is in? As we are from all over the world it makes it easier to pick out a beta that will have the timing right. Just a thought.
Suave.
LameeseS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LameeseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 6:16am
Bumping this back to top 
SuperEllie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperEllie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 6:20am
When I click on it it says it's trashed by the owner. Doesn't seem to be working at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>