NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avoiding Camera Directions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avoiding Camera Directions
    Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
Obviously I avoid them at all costs as it's not my job as the writer and I'm fine with that... except in this particular scene it actually matters that the scene is shot so the audience sees the action through this girl's eyes rather than seeing the girl do the action from a third person POV. Anyone have any tips on doing that in a non-clunky way that isn't a camera direction?

NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:09pm
Use a POV.

GIRL'S POV
Describe action.

BACK TO SCENE
Resume action as before.

These are acceptable because there are times when something needs to be called out like that.

Just remember to use BACK TO SCENE... otherwise, you've told the reader and everyone else to stay in the POV shot for the remainder of the film.
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Use a POV.

GIRL'S POV
Describe action.

BACK TO SCENE
Resume action as before.

These are acceptable because there are times when something needs to be called out like that.

Just remember to use BACK TO SCENE... otherwise, you've told the reader and everyone else to stay in the POV shot for the remainder of the film.

Thanks so much :) Follow up question - would you need to have 'BACK TO SCENE' if the whole scene is from that POV and then I change scenes? Assuming not?
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Rachel M Rachel M wrote:

Follow up question - would you need to have 'BACK TO SCENE' if the whole scene is from that POV and then I change scenes? Assuming not?
Your assumption is correct.
Smile
Dalilu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalilu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:25pm
I would just describe the action.

Startled, the girl looks up --
Describes what she sees, exactly the same as what the audience sees. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic