NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone know anywhere else to send rhyming stories?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know anywhere else to send rhyming stories?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know anywhere else to send rhyming stories?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:03am
Hi everyone,

Well, not gonna lie, it stung a little seeing no mention of my name on the results page anywhere.

Did anyone in my position have thoughts similar to these?

Have I been disqualified?
Did they actually receive my entry?
Did I send the wrong file by mistake?  LOL

Think it's because, unlike my recent short story effort that I have absolutely no hope for whatsoever, I quite liked my entry for this one.

Anyway onwards and upwards, and obviously massive congratulations to those who did make it, the standard was so high.

I was wondering though, I've enjoyed writing these rhyming stories so much, way more than I enjoy the prose writing, which always feels like such a hard battle to get that first draft on the page.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere else we can send them? I'm not sure if they'd class as poetry because of the story element, and I know rhyming poetry is unfashionable anyway.

Would love to continue writing - them but not if there's no market anywhere. Any thoughts?

Darylb1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darylb1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 6:43am
I actually typed “is there a market for rhyming stories?” into Google today. 

I love writing stories in rhyme but feel the same way as you. I have no idea if there is a market anywhere for them and how I would go about finding out. 

Really keen to see if anyone has any input. 
Mahunny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:20am
I have a secret dream for my husband and I to be the next Janet and Alan Ahlberg. Me writing words, him doing the illustrations. Not gonna happen any time soon (life, kids, work) but one day I hope to have the time to sit down and work on a project together and try our luck at getting it published.
Have you ever sent your work to a publisher? Rhyming stories do seem to fit well as children’s stories in particular, I’m not really sure how it would work so well aimed at adults except maybe on a blog? I do have a blog too where these stories and other poems I’ve written end up, but since I’m too scared to share it that’s going nowhere unless somebody stumbles upon it by chance!

Edited by Mahunny - 02 Feb 2023 at 7:21am
RS R1 The Steels
Anneliese33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anneliese33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:38am
This is a good question and I would love to know the answer too. I think children's picture books is the way forward here. I did an Online BBC course by author Julia Donaldson and it was really helpful in introducing me to the market.
Having said that, I have had one rhyming story published but it was for a very niche market and I didn't get any payment for it. I made it into a youtube video  as well, but it was mostly experimental.
I actually think there could be a market for rhyming stories, but it seems they're looked down on for some reason. I actually think it partially because they are very hard to write well!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:40am

I've subbed mine already, of course I have an advantage that mine is a little less regimented than some of you who used more traditional schemes. As it has been mentioned, rhyming poetry isn't very vogue right now.

My suggestion (as it was suggested to me as I don't often sub poetry) is concentrate on submitting to prose magazines that also accept poetry, not poetry specific venues. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 02 Feb 2023 at 7:47am
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:07am
I'm sure there was some talk after round 1 about putting together an anthology - does anyone know if that went anywhere?
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:40am
I subbed mine as poetry in a spec magazine exactly how Nod put it! Smile And mine was also more free-verse than rhyming, and it did very, very badly in the competition (out R1 with the least enthusiastic judge feedback I’ve ever gotten LOL), so I may not be a good example at all LOL I haven’t heard back about whether it was accepted, but I will probably continue to mess with it for submission since I like the story outside of the entire rhyming aspect haha
Bethany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Veronica Violet Veronica Violet wrote:

Hi everyone,

Well, not gonna lie, it stung a little seeing no mention of my name on the results page anywhere.

Think it's because, unlike my recent short story effort that I have absolutely no hope for whatsoever, I quite liked my entry for this one.

Anyway onwards and upwards, and obviously massive congratulations to those who did make it, the standard was so high.

I was wondering though, I've enjoyed writing these rhyming stories so much, way more than I enjoy the prose writing, which always feels like such a hard battle to get that first draft on the page.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere else we can send them? I'm not sure if they'd class as poetry because of the story element, and I know rhyming poetry is unfashionable anyway.

Would love to continue writing - them but not if there's no market anywhere. Any thoughts?

I literally had ALL of the same thoughts as you, lol! I truly thought I had a winner, better than my first round story that placed 1st. I wish I had a helpful suggestion for you re submission, but I'm more just here to commiserate. I have submitted poetry via "Society of Classical Poets" before, but I'm not sure if rhyming stories are their cup of tea. Sorry for your disappointment and best of luck with your continued writing!
Kay_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Bethany Bethany wrote:

Originally posted by Veronica Violet Veronica Violet wrote:

Hi everyone,

I literally had ALL of the same thoughts as you, lol! I truly thought I had a winner, better than my first round story that placed 1st. I wish I had a helpful suggestion for you re submission, but I'm more just here to commiserate. I have submitted poetry via "Society of Classical Poets" before, but I'm not sure if rhyming stories are their cup of tea. Sorry for your disappointment and best of luck with your continued writing!

I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Commiserations to you too, but at least you know you can write well and have the satisfaction of coming first in the initial round. That's a great achievement out of all those writers.
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 3:29am
Quick Google came up with these list posts.
From the Trish Hopkinson one, it looks like most may not pay, so it may depend whether you want to get your name out / build your writing CV or actually get cold hard cash!
There also seems to be a fair amount of taking an existing list and updating it. Haven't checked the amount of overlap or anything yet.

https://writersrelief.com/2020/04/08/20-literary-magazines-that-publish-rhyming-poetry-writers-relief/

Post Reply Post Reply