NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else writing from the hurricane cone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else writing from the hurricane cone?
    Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
As luck would have it, Hurricane Florence is going to hit my area (Coastal NC) as a Category 4 right when we get the Round 2 prompts. What luck! Because this is such a priority, I'm prepared with generator power for my laptop and backup data tethering from my cell phone so I can upload Sunday night even if we lose power and Internet. Anyone else having to do emergency writing prep? I'm so invested in this contest that  before I worried about losing my house, I worried about not being able to submit my story on time LOL
FFC Round 2 / PolSat / Dairy Farm / Flask

Shame!
Sponsored Links

KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:12pm
LOL, I don't blame you! Good for being prepared! Good luck, and I hope you stay out of the path of the storm!
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Ch#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:18pm
Thanks! We're pretty much a dead-on hit (county next to mine has mandatory evacuations already), but hopefully it won't be total devastation. Confused I'll be writing until the bitter end, though!

Shame!
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

As luck would have it, Hurricane Florence is going to hit my area (Coastal NC) as a Category 4 right when we get the Round 2 prompts. What luck! Because this is such a priority, I'm prepared with generator power for my laptop and backup data tethering from my cell phone so I can upload Sunday night even if we lose power and Internet. Anyone else having to do emergency writing prep? I'm so invested in this contest that  before I worried about losing my house, I worried about not being able to submit my story on time LOL

Before I retired, I was a consultant in business continuity, both in the USA and the UK.

Have you checked with your cell phone service provider? The cell phone needs a local base station complete with an antenna to connect to the telephone network and to the internet. The Base Station receives the radio signal from your cell phone. Hopefully the Base Station has backup electric power, but if the hurricane takes out the antenna mast, your cell phone may have nothing to connect to. 

Best of luck with this, and stay safe. 
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

Before you think I don’t understand or don’t have a clue, please know that Katrina ripped our roof to bare wood and Rita then dumped so much rain on us that our walls bled water and the replacement of the plaster walls and ceilings was more expensive than most people would believe. 

However, it was Hurricane Ivan the year prior that was the most dangerous. It came much closer to killing us. 

I admire your commitment to the competition, but if you are in any danger, get out of there while you can. No competition is worth injuring yourself or worse. Hurricanes are unpredictable and will go where they will go. I don’t know where you live, but by your own admissions you expect to lose power—hence, you are probably in the cone of uncertainly. 

Be certain-be safe. Take care of yourself first! At least get off the coast. 
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 9:07pm

This is one of those terrible, emotional situations where it's tough to even know what to do. I'm about 20 miles away from the coast of North Carolina (South East). I'm not in a mandatory evacuation zone, but close. It's tough to know which is scarier: Staying and facing storm surge and wind damage or  staying indefinitely away from all of my support systems and everything that's familiar. Right now, the staying slightly outweighs the going, but that might change as things progress over the next day 

Shame!
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:15pm
Good luck to all of you.  1st priority: stay out of harm's way.  I hope the storm fizzles out and no one is hurt. 
Repairmanjacked View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repairmanjacked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:25pm
Hi. You don't know me, but I've also worked in emergency management for a number of years. Make preparations to go with friends and family who live farther inland now. I would strongly suggest leaving as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you'll be stuck in the huge traffic jams that are guaranteed to form with everyone else who waits until the last possible second, prolonging your journey and making it infinitely more miserable and stressful. Pack tonight, be prepared to leave tomorrow.

And the extra cherry on top is you'll (hopefully) be going someplace that will have stable internet so you don't have to worry about submitting on time!
Ch1 Gr86 Her Last Panini
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:41am
I hope the reason we haven’t heard back from you again is because you have evacuated. 

Towns 20 miles inland in Mississippi were completely destroyed by Katrina. 

I haven’t checked the weather this motning, but heed Repairmanjacked’s words about not delaying 

Take care of yourself!
HR Garcia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HR Garcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Repairmanjacked Repairmanjacked wrote:

Hi. You don't know me, but I've also worked in emergency management for a number of years. Make preparations to go with friends and family who live farther inland now. I would strongly suggest leaving as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you'll be stuck in the huge traffic jams that are guaranteed to form with everyone else who waits until the last possible second, prolonging your journey and making it infinitely more miserable and stressful. Pack tonight, be prepared to leave tomorrow.

And the extra cherry on top is you'll (hopefully) be going someplace that will have stable internet so you don't have to worry about submitting on time!

THIS. I live on the TX coast, and during the evacuation from Hurricane Rita (2005), it took us about 13 hours to travel what should have been a 1.5 hour trip. People died on the highways from heat exhaustion/running out of meds/traffic incidents. AC's were shut off because you tried to conserve your gas but windows down doesn't bring much of a breeze when you're going 1 mile an hour. Leave now, hopefully you already have. Now, we save up our vacation time for Hurricane season in case we need it, and leave asap. It's been coined a "Hurrication", the last minute vacations anywhere north. Good luck and be well.
FFC CH2 GR55: The Deepest Blue
FFC CH1 GR55: What Are You Looking At?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic