NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else neglected real life this week?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else neglected real life this week?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:46am
So embarrassed this morning.

I got so absorbed in this competition that I completely forgot that i had an important real life commitment on Saturday.

I rewrote what felt like hundreds of sentences, and then decided I liked most of them better before.

By the time I looked up, it was 3am and I’d not eaten anything or moved from my seat!

Anyone else ever forgotten a real life thing in the midst of this competition?

And how the hell do writers ever write an actual book! The editing!Wacko

Edited by Veronica Violet - 29 Jan 2023 at 5:20am
Aezekiel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aezekiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:11am
I definitely felt like I was in some sort of alternative dimension this week. My most pressing question though was how do writers write and also have time to do everything else that life requires of you lol
bobc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:30am
Yes, I had a similar experience. I neglected various tasks during the week, barely left the house the last 48 hours before the deadline, and on Friday zoned out writing and completely missed a scheduled haircut.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:42am
I am a bit opposite. I start getting tired of beating my head against the desk and start procrastinating by cleaning the bathroom, or the kitchen, now an then the wheels on my office chair. But from the years of experience here in the contests I never go much past 12 or 1am because I will wake up early the next day still wired, lol. 
shady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:49am
Neglected the contest. Was so busy and emotionally drained, I just wasn't feeling it this time. I almost didn't turn anything in but manage to scrape together my bits and pieces and submitted a short, short story. Why Rom-Com, why?!?
shady
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:06am
Woke up Monday and started banging away.  Got so involved I forgot there was something I was supposed to do until far too late.

Pretty expensive mistake.  I set up an alarm on my phone so I won't do that twice, contest or otherwise. 
This sig intentionally blank
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:54am
For sure! I have so much work to do today because I put it off over the week to work on my short story. Totally worth it though!
SS2022 R1 Story: The Black Sheep

SS2023 R1: The Wee Shepherd
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:37am
I was so entranced by my story this time that I kept gravitating back to it (you know, when I should have been doing other thing). I didn’t “neglect” work and life, exactly, but I definitely didn’t give them my full attention, either. I had a full draft by Sunday evening. But it was the little edits made in stolen moments that really hammered it home. So… no regrets :)
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:16pm
Dunno about neglecting real life precisely, but I have pulled more all-nighters to hit NYCM  deadlines these last six months than I did in 4 years of university study.

I'm too old for all-nighters. They've certainly left me unable to give real life the attention it deserves. Unhappy
ReneeLuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReneeLuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:54pm
Sort of. I spent most of the week going about my daily life but with the story growing and insistently pressing in on my awareness, preventing me from fully engaging in anything else. Beyond notes and a brief outline, I couldn't start writing until Friday. Not that anything was preventing me, just my ADHD which demands the doom of a rapidly descending deadline. A week is simply too nebulous. A day? Perfect!

And I actually thought Friday was the deadline until around dinner time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>