NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else like me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else like me...
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:50am
...and has started hating their submission already? Not actually hating it, of course, but...you know what I mean.   Contest was fun, I had never done one with a ticking clock like this.  
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Ron414 Ron414 wrote:

...and has started hating their submission already? Not actually hating it, of course, but...you know what I mean.   Contest was fun, I had never done one with a ticking clock like this.  

I refuse to look at mine again after submitting until about a month or so out, when the forum feedback starts dying down a bit and I can start applying what I've learned from my peers.

Because the self-doubt always creeps in just after pressing "submit." Totally normal.
Emmageek View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmageek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:59am

Like Lisa, I try to not look at it for a little bit.  I second guess myself immediately afterwards (was the page count right, did I go over, did I catch the spelling and grammar...) then I just wait.  Once I start hearing back from people and go over their feedback, I change what needs to be changed before I go forward with whatever else I'm going to do with it.
SSC R2 GR8 The Sound of Silence
SSC R1 GR8 Pay To Play
Ron414 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I refuse to look at mine again after submitting until about a month or so out, when the forum feedback starts dying down a bit and I can start applying what I've learned from my peers.

Because the self-doubt always creeps in just after pressing "submit." Totally normal.

Oh yeah, I'm used to it, it's just amusing to me. Less about self doubt and more about having like four ideas the next day that might've been perfect and being irritated they came so late.  Better late than never as far as ideas go, but yeah, my former writing partner would be like, "Let's submit this draft so you can start hating it." Smile

fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:24pm
Having spotted 5 minutes AFTER the deadline that although Celtx showed the lower margins as being absolutely fine on the dashboard, they've been cut to almost nothing on the final pdf, I've wasted far too much time trying to work out why, what etc..... yesterday and today. When I shift it to different software, it varies from being about 4 lines into the 6th page to only being 4.75 pages long. I will definitely have to check for that next time, but it was 4am... and 5.06am when I spotted it (5am deadline). Because of that, I daren't go near the actual screenplay for weeks! LOL I don't know if I hate it - it's too mad to hate, but possibly also to love.

Edited by fioOxf - 15 Oct 2019 at 3:56pm
SSC19 Gr2 Ch1 Love and Stuff
SSC19 Gr2 Ch2 Grilled
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:48pm
I honestly can't tell you what I submitted for round 1 and 2 of flash.  I've mostly forgotten what I submitted for micro.  I sort-of remember what I did for this round.

Eventually I look at them again, but familiarity breeds contempt and even a good story seems stale after you read it too many times. 

Besides, I really don't care what mistakes I made with grammar or repetitive words or confused cases because it's too late to change anything.  If the story holds up I'll copy it into a folder of not-bad pieces that get looked at when I need a break from other things.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
callmedeb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmedeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:09pm
I hated mine as I was writing it, does that count?
CH1GR28 - The Lord of Misrule
Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed.
Ron414 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by callmedeb callmedeb wrote:

I hated mine as I was writing it, does that count?

It does! Smile
MarkBickle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkBickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 4:40pm
I've been ill since Sunday morning so it wasn't the best time to be having my first go at a screenplay.

Edited by MarkBickle - 01 Nov 2019 at 1:42pm
Mickey T View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 5:00pm
I've gone the other way with mine.

Started off not liking my submission. Then I was indifferent. Now I'm kinda appreciating it for its merits. 

Still riddled with self-doubt, but that's my default so I'm comfortable.

Edited by Mickey T - 15 Oct 2019 at 7:02pm
Short Screenplay 2019 - Challenge 2: When The Wind Blows
Microfiction 2019 - Round 2: Anomalous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic