NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:44pm
Five other stories were posted in my group. One was very good, the others less so. NYCM tends to reward mediocrity so I expect some or all of those to place higher than I did.
SC 2021, Mystery: Striking The Sun

Micro 100, 2021, Sci-fi: That Time Of The Month
Papisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 5:22pm
Ah! Thank you so much. 
WilderCruelerWaves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote WilderCruelerWaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 6:04am
Originally posted by eaintree eaintree wrote:

Five other stories were posted in my group. One was very good, the others less so. NYCM tends to reward mediocrity so I expect some or all of those to place higher than I did.

Least you're not bitter about it though, that's the main thing.
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 6:43am
Originally posted by WilderCruelerWaves WilderCruelerWaves wrote:

I'm just done. As an experiment I may enter the next micro 250 and dash a piece off in an hour, toss it in the submission box. Bet it'll advance. If my piece looks like an eager little puppy, then NYCM will likely give me a treat, as they do for so much bland pap in every competition. If the submission looks like it came from a "writer" with their own ideas, it will go nowhere.

nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:05am
Sorry you didn’t make it (I presume), but no need to put down other people/stories just because you disagree with the judging. I’m sure those writers worked hard and are proud of what they did even if you’re not impressed. If you don’t like the judging system or other elements of the comp send feedback to nycm instead and help them improve.
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:42am

I'm just done. As an experiment I may enter the next micro 250 and dash a piece off in an hour, toss it in the submission box. Bet it'll advance. If my piece looks like an eager little puppy, then NYCM will likely give me a treat, as they do for so much bland pap in every competition. If the submission looks like it came from a "writer" with their own ideas, it will go nowhere.

Honestly, I read your story. It had good ideas and worked in some satirizing of corporatocracy, but it was hard to follow with the sheer amount of details in such a small span of words. The setting and character are muddy, and I feel less time making up corporation portmanteaus would have given more space for that necessary context.

I don't know why you're blaming the judges or other stories instead of seriously analyzing your own work and considering that maybe — just maybe — you have room for improvement.
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:24am

It’s worth remembering that this is a writing competition, not a beauty pageant. 
I expect the judges to look for adherence to criteria and form, and not necessarily reward the most ostentatious or bold talent.  There is a time to be a singular sensation, and a time to write to spec. Plenty of  “writers” successfully understand this.  

“Bland pap” that meets the requirements, is meticulous, well-structured and cleanly written deserves a place at the table alongside any flashy fiction. That’s why the classics endure and are still classic.  

You don’t need to wait for these judges to recognise literary brilliance when it hits them in the face; publish your story and unleash that talent for the benefit of all mediocre minds. It’s your obligation as a writer to do so. 

SParker, 
Purveyor of light, finely crafted, award winning pap since 1987  

Edited by Sparker - 22 Jul 2021 at 11:31am
agilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote agilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:30am

That hasn't been my experience at all.  When I go further outside myself and get to my weirdest places, the judges almost always reward me for it. And even when they don't, I get some great feedback to work with.  Writing should be more of a reflective process than maybe what you're doing here.  If this contest isn't right for you, that's fine. But no need to put others down.
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:06am
I'm always super disappointed when others from my group don't post their stories. Reading what other people do with the prompts is 90% of the reason why I pay the expensive entry fee. Only one other person from my group posted their FF story this go round. It's very good, but I would've loved to read more than just one. Oh well, I'll still always do this competition. I've won other contests/money from failed NYC Midnight stories so it's all good.
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:35am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Honestly, I read your story. It had good ideas and worked in some satirizing of corporatocracy, but it was hard to follow with the sheer amount of details in such a small span of words. The setting and character are muddy, and I feel less time making up corporation portmanteaus would have given more space for that necessary context.

I don't know why you're blaming the judges or other stories instead of seriously analyzing your own work and considering that maybe — just maybe — you have room for improvement.

We disagree. It's worth noting that you weren't content with simply stating your view about the piece - which is a valid perspective - but felt the need to bull past that into a sort of empty, condescending character assassination (this is the internet, you don't know who you're talking to, what their writing process is like, how they analyze, etc), which garnered 9 likes and several follow-ups. The major flaw this forum has is an overwhelming need to give empty praise - the NYCM org sees that and reflects it, inevitably, with their judging style. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic