NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VictoriaLiiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else hoping to see more from their group?
    Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 4:46pm
So here I am, mindlessly refreshing the list of stories. Skimming past the ones that have a different number on them than I'm searching for. Unless it catches my eye and I end up reading it, absolutely loving it and then going back to refreshing the page again.

Is anyone else eager, but also treading to read the stories from their own group? I found two, absolutely amazing ones, so far and my heart slowly sinks. And even though I feel impending doom over my head I have to stop in astonishment and apreaciate all that undeniable talent. 

Wow, guys. You are all so amazing!

Edited by VictoriaLiiv - 14 Jul 2021 at 3:12am
22FFR2 G27
22FFR1 G27
21FFR1 G70
21FFR2 G70
TheOneForgottenThing View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheOneForgottenThing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
I always have a love/hate relationship with what others wrote. Love their talent! Hate that I have to compete with it! 
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 5:31pm
I've lucked out this time around. Not including my own, there are five other stories posted, and there is one more person listed who I believe is likely to post. I've read four so far today (I probably won't read more until tomorrow), and I've enjoyed them all.

This contest, I am really proud of my story, but I am not confident in it. I'm proud because I took on a challenging concept for the word count and stuck with it, and I think I am better for it, though that also means the polish is a bit lacking. In my growth arc as a writer, that's about my current limit for that level of complexity in 48-hrs and 1000 words, I suppose. 

So, the other stories I am reading in my group are making me a little nervous based off their quality, but I prefer it that way. Realistically, so few are posted to the forums that you don't get a good sense of your odds just from reading what's available here. And judging is always going to have a certain subjectivity. So if others who have posted end up placing above mine, I'll be saddened I didn't do better, but not upset that they did. 

Edited by kristina_f - 13 Jul 2021 at 6:03pm
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Manda622 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manda622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 6:17pm
I only see one other story listed from my group, but there is no link to the story itself. I'm dying to see how others interpreted our assignment. :( 
jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
Yes! I feel like I’ve found a dozen stories not from my group that were *wonderful*, and I’m just so glad those people…aren’t in my group ^.^

There are a couple on the list from my group, one posted already one not, and I keep checking back for more. I should probably get some work done instead, but this is too engaging—I keep finding lovely things to read.
500 Final - Like a Sailor's Lady-Love (Sci-Fi)
BuryBadBooks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:36pm
My group is starting to show up...Goodie!

I hate amazing writers.... ;) I always make sure to say "Glad you're not in my group!" when their stories knock my socks off. Happens more than I would have originally thought. I love this contest.
You read mine, I read yours. SS #1: Grand Finale
irmelsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irmelsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:47pm
Microfiction was the only time there was a decent showing from my group.  It sucks because it's nice when they announce the results from the round to actually know the stories that win.
FFCH2
Token of Affection
MF250 R1
Hey, Babe
RadBadOrJustSad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RadBadOrJustSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
I love reading and checking out random stories, but I'm starving to check out group mates. So far I'm the only one from mine to share!
Katieee1313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Katieee1313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:23pm
only two people from my group have posted and the talent is unreal and intimidating😅 I’m not confident in my story at all, I underestimated how hard the challenge would be, especially with two young children at home. I ended up submitting what was basically my first draft with minimal editing with only two minutes to spare. But I’m enjoying searching through different stories on the forum. its so inspiring to read these amazing stories from such talented writers!
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Katieee1313 Katieee1313 wrote:

only two people from my group have posted and the talent is unreal and intimidating😅 I’m not confident in my story at all, I underestimated how hard the challenge would be, especially with two young children at home. I ended up submitting what was basically my first draft with minimal editing with only two minutes to spare. But I’m enjoying searching through different stories on the forum. its so inspiring to read these amazing stories from such talented writers!

Only one other person from my group so far. For SS, only four people total posted. TORTURE LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>