NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody else only JUST started writing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody else only JUST started writing?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:49am
After leaving both previous rounds to the Sunday afternoon / evening to start writing, I planned on doing it right this time around and giving myself the full two days. 

Enter: oddball prompts + an unthinking mind and here I am, only just typing an opening line Geek

Are there any fellow strugglers out there? Can I get a 'You've got this!'?

Hope you've all churned out some magic!
amgeorgiou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgeorgiou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:58am
Yes, you're not alone!!

Have had an unexpectedly very busy weekend, alongside wholly uninspiring prompts. 

My only advice would be to avoid reading those 'halfway check in' or 'what stage is everyone at' forums!!
Read my Challenge #3 story titled Final Call for Life
Read my Challenge #2 story titled Can't Have Your Kayak And Hea
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:02am
Glad I’m not the only one!! I’d completely convinced myself I wouldn’t make it to this round, and didn’t worry too much about rushing to finish the three uni assignments that are due this weekend. 

...... Fortunately or unfortunately, I did make it through and am now scrambling to finish my last 1000 words of essay so I can actually have time to write! It’s not the most original, but I do have a clear idea in my head so I should at least be able to smash SOMETHING out. 

Best of luck and I’m sure you’ll be fine!!! There’s nothing like the fear of imminent deadlines to get the creative juices flowing ;)
SSP C1: The Waiting Room

FFC C3: Fetch
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:10am
Yes. I had a long drive yesterday. I'd hoped I might be able to plan on the go and then get a first draft in the evening, but by the time I went to bed I had just a few vague ideas - all of which I've junked this morning. I've now got an outline but that's it. Looks like it could be an all-nighter (the deadline is 5am here).
I'm reminding myself that in the first round the story which I really struggled with did much better than the one that came easily.

Edited by theinquisitor - 18 Oct 2020 at 6:14am
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:08am
GREATLY struggling. Zero inspiration for rom com. Hope I submit at all at this point...ugh.
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:02am
@amgeorgiou - woohoo! I mean, sorry you're struggling too but it's nice to have company 😊 

@ZoeLou - ah, that's so stressful! I'll cross my fingers for you. I start a new job tomorrow so giving myself a midnight (UK) deadline. 

@theinquisitor - that's a great way to think of it. The fact both my stories scored okay despite being written at the last minute is giving me hope. I couldn't get past the initial idea that sprang to mind on this one (an idea which I didn't fancy). Good luck!

@BarbaraFL - what are your prompts? You've come this far - don't give up 😊 

Edited by timmytimtimothy - 18 Oct 2020 at 8:03am
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:18am
*raises hand sadly* I was busy yesterday, planned to start last night, and then got sick with some kind of stomach bug. I’m in pain and grumpy and have zero creative energy right now (or any kind of energy for that matter).

Oh the bright side, if there’s any genre that can be positively influenced by pain and nausea on the part of the writer, it’s horror, which is what I’ve got!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by timmytimtimothy timmytimtimothy wrote:

@BarbaraFL - what are your prompts? You've come this far - don't give up 😊 

It's the rom com that's doing me in. I just had it for short screenplay and was horrified by my result, just filled with bad tropes...that on top of a fairly awful week have left me not remotely capable of this right now
Jenguin26 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenguin26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:36am
Hi guys! Glad to find others in the same boat. After throwing quite a few ideas out the window, I'm just putting together a first draft now. 

Good luck everyone! We can do it. Thumbs Up
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:52am
Although I technically started 10 hours ago...it sure does feel like I just started writing when I look at my mess of a draft :P. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic