NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any reliable way to contact NYCM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any reliable way to contact NYCM?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 2:38pm
I'm trying to get a response on my 1st round story (I suspect that they marked it as ineligible to receive points), so far nothing back from sending to the feedback@nycmidnight.com email and sending to NYCM here on the Forums. Anyone know what's the best route?
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by eaintree eaintree wrote:

I'm trying to get a response on my 1st round story (I suspect that they marked it as ineligible to receive points), so far nothing back from sending to the feedback@nycmidnight.com email and sending to NYCM here on the Forums. Anyone know what's the best route?

The feedback email address has worked for me in the past, but it could take a couple of days. Once you get a response, the back and forth goes faster.  They cleared up a problem for me a couple of contests back.
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:47pm

Based on my experience, and the experience I've seen from others, I would expect them to respond from that email address, and hopefully within a day or less of you sending it. I would not necessarily expect them to take action if there is any sort of issue, though. (Sorry, that comment is somewhat me being snarky, but also me being realistic.)

Are you thinking you got disqualified? If so, I believe they normally note that at the bottom of your feedback email (and the reason). 
Learn from my mistake: Rate your judges

FF2: Beer, Bears, and Bath Salts: A True-Crime Exclusive From Hollywood Holly
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

Based on my experience, and the experience I've seen from others, I would expect them to respond from that email address, and hopefully within a day or less of you sending it. I would not necessarily expect them to take action if there is any sort of issue, though. (Sorry, that comment is somewhat me being snarky, but also me being realistic.)

Are you thinking you got disqualified? If so, I believe they normally note that at the bottom of your feedback email (and the reason). 

...they did reply, and yes, they said if there's a disqualification that's noted in the feedback email. So I was qualified, but zeroed. 

I just found the zero highly odd, since the feedback overall was complimentary, with one judge in the 2nd section saying "no issues - tight story."

Just chalk it up to the multitude of ways this contest rarely makes sense.
Lex Pearson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:18pm
Yeah I once wrote a story that I personally really loved and they raved about that also ended up getting zero points. It was bizarre but like you say: sometimes this competition makes zero sense.
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:45pm

...they did reply, and yes, they said if there's a disqualification that's noted in the feedback email. So I was qualified, but zeroed. 

I just found the zero highly odd, since the feedback overall was complimentary, with one judge in the 2nd section saying "no issues - tight story."

Just chalk it up to the multitude of ways this contest rarely makes sense.

*ahem* *cough-cough* Go rate your judges *cough-cough* *ahem*
Learn from my mistake: Rate your judges

FF2: Beer, Bears, and Bath Salts: A True-Crime Exclusive From Hollywood Holly
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm

But the *feedback* was fine, and essentially positive - it echoed things I already understood about the piece after 6 weeks. I didn't think any of it was unfair or clueless. So... what am I going to do, just point at the disparity between feedback and score? I don't even really understand how they score pieces behind the scenes.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm

But the *feedback* was fine, and essentially positive - it echoed things I already understood about the piece after 6 weeks. I didn't think any of it was unfair or clueless. So... what am I going to do, just point at the disparity between feedback and score? I don't even really understand how they score pieces behind the scenes.

That happens a lot. Only 15 stories can place. And only two who posted from your group were placed in the top fifteen. So you really have no idea what you were competing against. Sometimes a story is fine, but others are just better by whatever metric the judges are using. I did read yours and I think you probably took the biggest hit on genre, if I had to guess where the low score came from-it's supposed to be a romcom, and it's very, very light on the rom to the point it's easy to miss. If you're up against 15 or more other stories that fit the genre better, if they have to start making calls on who to place and who not to, chances are the ones that are closer to the genre are going to win that tiebreaker.

And that's if I had to guess. They've never told us exactly how our scores break down and I doubt they ever will. 
SSC2021 R1 Gr 56: Terra Nova
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

That happens a lot. Only 15 stories can place. And only two who posted from your group were placed in the top fifteen. So you really have no idea what you were competing against. Sometimes a story is fine, but others are just better by whatever metric the judges are using. I did read yours and I think you probably took the biggest hit on genre, if I had to guess where the low score came from-it's supposed to be a romcom, and it's very, very light on the rom to the point it's easy to miss.

...as I said on page 1 of my thread, and discussed throughout. That's what I was expecting, and if that's why it didn't place, it's not brain surgery - under "What Needs Work" the judge can say "this isn't really a romantic comedy", full stop. But they didn't, so it's just guesswork.

Anyway, enough of this.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Lex Pearson Lex Pearson wrote:

Yeah I once wrote a story that I personally really loved and they raved about that also ended up getting zero points. It was bizarre but like you say: sometimes this competition makes zero sense.

The thing is, scoring has less to do with the quality of your story, but how it compares with the other stories in your group. You can write a great tale with very little negative feedback, but if the other folks in your group wrote truly outstanding stories, then you might not score as well...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic