NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...and the prompts are...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mother of Chaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
I got Horror, deficient, and a passenger. 

I love reading horror but am having quite a few difficulties writing it. And -deficient-? Ugh

I have about 1400 random words in one document at this point. I hope I can make it into something good. 
Mother of Chaos
SSC21 When You Least Expect It
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by RocketSob RocketSob wrote:

Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Originally posted by RocketSob RocketSob wrote:

Spy, Tropical, Mechanic. Damn you, spy genre. Damn you to spy hell. 

Ayy hello group mate! I have to laugh at tropical - I live in the tropics but am currently visiting family in outback Australia and was in the mood to write something set down here... looks like NYC Midnight is saying no to that idea! 

Question about spy: are we all doomed to write James Bond-esque stories? Or is it enough to have a character spying on another?

Ayyy!

Haha, no outback stories here! And I think it doesn’t have to be strictly spy on spy James Bond action but a single scene of one character spying unrelated to the plot might not cut it?
Straight from the source 

Spy

A story that involves espionage, secret agents, or secret service organizations as an important context or plot device. 

This may be too late to be helpful, but when I got spy in the flash fiction competition, I wrote about Amish men getting hyper competetive about a harvest festival and sabotaging one another's displays, and placed first. 

I've also seen comedic stories about employees trying to sneak onto the boss' computer to delete and email they sent to him by mistake do well, so... I think you have some freedom to avoid the James Bond tropes!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:54pm
Group 22: Fairy tale / nocturnal / a postwoman

Fairy tale isn't my jam, but I think I have something that will work for this!
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Vandy Vandy wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Group 34.
Selfish.
Cosmetologist.

And.. wait for it....

Another fracking ghost story.

May I tell you how much I'd prefer to write a ghost story about a selfish cosmetologist than Romance/Impractical/A noisy neighbor (group 1)?

Trying to feel grateful that I didn't get Political Satire, I guess...

I would prefer BOTH of those sets to Political Satire / Damage Control / Insider. Drowning!!
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Group 31 - political science, damage control, an insider.

*cracks knuckles*

Me too! Hating every second of it! LOL
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:25am
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

Group 25: political satire, abstinence, an inspector.  

I was just saying how much I prefer off-the-wall prompts that you have to work to connect (I was envious of the group in the FF that got the notorious “science fiction, breast milk, an antiques shop” prompt), and how much harder the obvious ones can be. I dunno if you can get more obvious for PolSat than an abstinence/inspector setup. Except for maybe an insider/damage control setup — I feel bad for y’all too.

I'm in the damage control / insider group, and you NAILED it. Elements that line up so perfectly together in a genre I've never written was somehow far worse than having to connect unrelated dots. Cry
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:22am
I got fairy tale/irresistable/defeatist

And I got what a defeatist was and how it could work for my story, but I've never once in my life been like, "Oh, yeah, that human is a real defeatist."

And it threw me so much, I almost couldn't get started, which in a very meta way almost made me the defeatist of whom I was speaking. 
AMOSD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMOSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:49am
I got Group 19, Fantasy, a cobbler and Prohibition

I only remembered about the competition last night, so I've rushed it out today. I do love fantasy though, so I'm pretty lucky to get something I'm comfortable with. Last time I went in the comp, I got Romantic Comedy and Political Satire, which both made me want to barf. This time it was Sci-Fi and now Fantasy. My luck is in.

Edited by AMOSD - 11 Apr 2021 at 4:02am
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by NERdling NERdling wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by NERdling NERdling wrote:

Romantic Comedy - An ambulance chaser - A lapse in judgement. 

I mentally prepped myself for Comedy because I have a really hard time being funny on purpose and I secretly hoped Romance because I've been addicted to Romance audiobooks lately. So.... Jackpot, kinda :)

Ooo I'm so glad to see a heatmate here! Good luck <3 I'm really excited to read your entry. I love romance too so extra looking forward to it.

Yay! I am excited to read yours, too! I loved your FF final story and exchanging feedback :) 

Aww that's so sweet of you, thanks! I really enjoyed your final round story. Glad we get to be groupmates again <3 Hope this round has been kind to you :)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by ash101_49 ash101_49 wrote:

I got fairy tale/irresistable/defeatist

And I got what a defeatist was and how it could work for my story, but I've never once in my life been like, "Oh, yeah, that human is a real defeatist."

And it threw me so much, I almost couldn't get started, which in a very meta way almost made me the defeatist of whom I was speaking. 
Well, the story you managed to write was a DELIGHT. It was a pleasure to beta!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>