NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost half way check in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost half way check in
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm

How are we doing kids?

This prompt for me (A/A, a sailboat, sunglasses) has been a nightmare!

After avoiding it all day, I zipped out a 800 word draft right after dinner tonight and decided it was trash, so I am starting again. 400 words into something that I am much happier with. But it's definitely a nerdy story. Are nerds action-y? Adventure-y? Gosh, I hope so. I think I need more wine.

kenshomo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenshomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
Mine was a challenging prompt but I like the idea I finally came up with. It now fits one of several genres... as usual for me.

Anyway, since it's just an IDEA and not yet a STORY I better get to work on my so-called Spy story in what is hopefully a switchboard room and, oh yeah, can't forget to add a menu somewhere too!

Edited by kenshomo - 17 Oct 2020 at 9:22pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by kenshomo kenshomo wrote:

It now fits one of several genres... as usual for me.

I'm all in for the mash ups!
ruagray View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ruagray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:34pm
Horror - A frozen body of water - An underwater camera

I wrote a full story this afternoon and only afterward realized that I totally forgot the body of water was supposed to be 'frozen'. Basically scrapping 80% of the story and making a new one that has a couple commonalities.
danaewest View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danaewest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Are nerds action-y?

I mean, I'd like to think The Goonies is the best Action and Adventure movie to exist, so... yes. A resounding yes. 

Meanwhile, I recently had a small meltdown for not writing a rom com funnier than Jason Segal. I then thought about rewriting my whole story to be about the Keebler Elves.

I think I may be cracking. 
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:27pm
I was struggling a lot with political satire but I think I've found something that's going to work. Unfortunately, now that I'm having fun I'm writing something way too long! I'm at almost 1200 words and probably 5/6 of the way through the story. And I'm worried that the assigned location isn't a big enough part of it. The whole story is set off by something that happens in that location, but the action jumps around from place to place. I'm hoping I can just come to a good end point tonight and then sort that all out and pare things down tomorrow. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by danaewest danaewest wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Are nerds action-y?

I mean, I'd like to think The Goonies is the best Action and Adventure movie to exist, so... yes. A resounding yes.  

Swoon. Goonies. I feel so much better now! 
Calantha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:47pm
AA/ Sunglasses/ Sailboat? 

Seems to me like the new trap isn't trying to wedge strange objects into a location... the new trap is that they know we'll start overthinking things now!

Last round I was one of the Horror/ underwater trench/ gummy freaking candy recipients. This time I got a sweet Hist Fic/ Blacksmith workshop/ Bench. Punched out my first draft writing approximately 100 words per hour LOLWacko now getting ready for some beta reads to knock it into shape before bed. 

Wishing good luck and flowing prose to all you lovelies, looking forward to seeing what's submitted!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:09pm
Things are going great here, but I really, really need to sleep and sleep and sleep and sleep tonight. Last night I was so keyed up and excited about my prompts that I had ideas twirling around in my head, and then, still over-excited, I woke up too early this morning; and I haven't managed to fall asleep for a nap because I'm tired but not sleepy, which bites. So I'm planning on going to bed very soon and staying there for a long, long time; and I also need to sleep off some dark themes that I've been freakin' researching for my story, so now, in my pre-sleep delirium, I'm listening to "The Working Hour" by Tears for Fears and flashing back to the eighties, a fabulous decade for music and pop culture in general, but I never saw Goonies, for whatever reason. It's good? 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:44pm
I finally have words on the page which are okay words.

Fairy tale is kicking my tail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic