NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"adult" themes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inoreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "adult" themes?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:28pm
does anyone know if there are rules regarding "dark" or "adult" themes?  namely how "dark" or "adult" we're allowed to go?  i'm not doing anything too crazy but i haven't been able to find any mention of a maturity/rating level in the rules so i figure i'll check while there's still time for frantic rewrites ;}
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:33pm
I have seen stories with any and all "dirty" words, so I don't think it matters as long as it's true to the characters. Also, have seen lots of explicit violence. Not so sure on sex acts, but then how much to the 1000 words do you want to use? ;)
I think it's understood that this is a writing competition for grown-ups, and the readers/judges will consist of same. 
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:56pm
This is literary efforts for adults, which means there may be adult themes, but in the same way you are reaching for your best audience, you would write something that will engage your reader & not offend them.

It's up to you.

I had romance one year and made something kinda steamy, and it got high marks, but it was all by implication and shadow and smoke.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply