NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

about a genre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LoboGal26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: about a genre
    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 12:56pm
I really hesitate to ask or suggest this, but...

Have you all considered offering Satire as a genre, instead of the more narrow Political Satire?

I'm hesitant to raise the issue because this genre terrifies the words from my fingers, and I fear I'm tempting fate. Still, while I appreciate political satire, I am so very tired of how limited it's become: someone gets assigned political satire and the go-to is to satirize the current U.S. political environment; then that leads to a lot of political discussion and group think, but very little discussion or critique about writing. I don't give a crap about other people's politics; I do want to learn and gain some level of appreciation for the challenge of writing satire. The abundance of political speak has led me to not even bother to read or comment on any of the political satire heats.

I believe opening up the genre to encompass the broader whole of satire might entice a Palahnuik-esque look at religion, or a Super Troopers/Hot Fuzz take on law enforcement, a look at history with the flair of Monty Python or maybe a commentary on relationships, a la Ira Levin's Stepford Wives. The broader genre wouldn't take away the political sense of Strangelove and the Colbert Report, it would just open up the creative avenues and allow for more conversations about writing. That's what I'm here for.
(2018) R1 H57: The Game-Changer
Sponsored Links

NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:37am
Thank you for your feedback!  We will be taking a look at the genres and opening up the discussion with participants to introduce/remove some genres later this year.  We will definitely make a note of this and will make sure it's in the discussion when we reach out to everyone.  Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything else in the meantime.  Thanks and speak soon!
Next up is the Short Story Challenge 2018 kicking off January 26th.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 1:08pm
A thought I have on genres: Suspense, Thriller and Action/Adventure are only subtly different from one another (your genre definitions even reference some of the same movies). You could simplify that down to a single genre. 
Melanoman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:11pm
Suspense and Action are radically different to write. Action is all about moving the action so fast that it gets ahead of the readers' thoughts. Suspense is all about making the reader wait and think about what might come next.

Thriller is... um...

Yeah, collapse Thriller. Nothing to see there.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:25am
Originally posted by LoboGal26 LoboGal26 wrote:

I really hesitate to ask or suggest this, but...
Have you all considered offering Satire as a genre, instead of the more narrow Political Satire?
I'm hesitant to raise the issue because this genre terrifies the words from my fingers, and I fear I'm tempting fate. Still, while I appreciate political satire, I am so very tired of how limited it's become: someone gets assigned political satire and the go-to is to satirize the current U.S. political environment; then that leads to a lot of political discussion and group think, but very little discussion or critique about writing. I don't give a crap about other people's politics; I do want to learn and gain some level of appreciation for the challenge of writing satire. The abundance of political speak has led me to not even bother to read or comment on any of the political satire heats.
I believe opening up the genre to encompass the broader whole of satire might entice a Palahnuik-esque look at religion, or a Super Troopers/Hot Fuzz take on law enforcement, a look at history with the flair of Monty Python or maybe a commentary on relationships, a la Ira Levin's Stepford Wives. The broader genre wouldn't take away the political sense of Strangelove and the Colbert Report, it would just open up the creative avenues and allow for more conversations about writing. That's what I'm here for.

Maybe you're overthinking it ... have a look at the discussion on Political Satire in Creative Writing ... might take some of the sting out of it ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic