Poll Question: Would you prefer for the Master Lists:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
28 [84.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Suave, I am curious why you are so against having it listed in a Google doc? I honestly think it's more efficient and removes the possibility of it crashing and losing everything.

Also, the forum has not been the same since it went all wonky last month. The character limits seem to be lower than they were before. So two lists probably wouldn't work anymore!

At one point I created a new forum (a couple people expressed an interest in starting one that was not associated with NYCM and doesn't suck) but that went nowhere fast.  Nothing beats the crapware you know vs the crapware you don't.

There's something cool about doing things right.  It just makes the IT Director in me all warm and fuzzy. 

This Sig Intentionally Blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Suave, I am curious why you are so against having it listed in a Google doc? I honestly think it's more efficient and removes the possibility of it crashing and losing everything.

Also, the forum has not been the same since it went all wonky last month. The character limits seem to be lower than they were before. So two lists probably wouldn't work anymore!

At one point I created a new forum (a couple people expressed an interest in starting one that was not associated with NYCM and doesn't suck) but that went nowhere fast.  Nothing beats the crapware you know vs the crapware you don't.

There's something cool about doing things right.  It just makes the IT Director in me all warm and fuzzy. 

As I proved when I copied and pasted the 1-50 master list (larger than their lists) from the short story contest that I did earlier in the year, the character limits were not lowered, the forum just found something it did not like about the way their posts were formatted and limited their size.  This forum takes a little poking and prodding to get things done sometimes.

SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
https://bit.ly/32r9dq9 MF A Knock at the Door
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 10:54pm
Personal experiences/opinions of the functionality of the forums not withstanding, I’m going to add a devil’s advocate thought that I shall present for the sake of discussion. 

A delightful human, nerdier than I, has offered a single reservation on using a off-closed-forum gdoc. Should a Master List Wrangler accidentally add the wrong link (as in a direct story post as opposed to a closed forum link) it could compromise the “published” status of a story. 

Mistakes can happen. I’ve added people to the wrong group on the ML as well as posted a typo or two. To date, I dont think I have added an incorrect link but I’m only a smol, fuzzy, chubby, flightless aquatic birdy. Mistakes can happen. (Change your vote if this concerns you.)

Edited by ChillyToez - 08 Aug 2019 at 10:54pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Personal experiences/opinions of the functionality of the forums not withstanding, I’m going to add a devil’s advocate thought that I shall present for the sake of discussion. 

A delightful human, nerdier than I, has offered a single reservation on using a off-closed-forum gdoc. Should a Master List Wrangler accidentally add the wrong link (as in a direct story post as opposed to a closed forum link) it could compromise the “published” status of a story. 

Mistakes can happen. I’ve added people to the wrong group on the ML as well as posted a typo or two. To date, I dont think I have added an incorrect link but I’m only a smol, fuzzy, chubby, flightless aquatic birdy. Mistakes can happen. (Change your vote if this concerns you.)

I did not think of that, and if they do plagiarism searches that could come up I guess.  One other thought on the off site part is that once the contest is finished, the list will not be part of the permanent record of the different contests that they have going back many years, well unless you keep your copy perpetuity in Google docs.

SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

One other thought on the off site part is that once the contest is finished, the list will not be part of the permanent record of the different contests that they have going back many years, well unless you keep your copy perpetuity in Google docs.

Fair point. While it wouldn’t compromise the archived stories, it could make it harder for people to utilize if they want to go back and, for example, search out & read placing stories. 

I’d like to say that I’d leave the gdoc accessible in perpetuity, But precognition is not one of my talents & i have no idea what my future might bring. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 12:44am

One other thought on the off site part is that once the contest is finished, the list will not be part of the permanent record of the different contests that they have going back many years, well unless you keep your copy perpetuity in Google docs.

Fair point. While it wouldn’t compromise the archived stories, it could make it harder for people to utilize if they want to go back and, for example, search out & read placing stories. 

I’d like to say that I’d leave the gdoc accessible in perpetuity, But precognition is not one of my talents & i have no idea what my future might bring. 

Haha, I regularly clean out my Google as it only has so much space.

Maybe if you tried out my method when you have some spare time and see if it works for you?
Remember, I did all posts to the master list with copy and paste directly from their request to be listed message into the master list on the forum - other than make up the template in Word of the 5o heats, with 3 spaces between each of them, I added nothing outside the forum, and that template was copy pasted into my master list post to start.  I think all the copy paste is what makes mine seem a little messy, well I know it did, lol.  But as I was quite busy and did not have other means at my disposal I did it that way and it worked.

SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:22am

True, but such a mistake would not last long.  Same as how it is now when someone posts their story in the open part of the forum, the first non-newbie to discover the mistaken link would notify the ML Wrangler of the mistake. 

I did not think of that, and if they do plagiarism searches that could come up I guess.  One other thought on the off site part is that once the contest is finished, the list will not be part of the permanent record of the different contests that they have going back many years, well unless you keep your copy perpetuity in Google docs.

At some point, perhaps right before the next round starts, the Wranglers could then make permanent forum posts, and copy/paste the google docs data into however many posts as is necessary to be part of the permanent record. At that point the data will be nearly static, right?
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:28am

At some point, perhaps right before the next round starts, the Wranglers could then make permanent forum posts, and copy/paste the google docs data into however many posts as is necessary to be part of the permanent record. At that point the data will be nearly static, right?
[/QUOTE]

though you are right if that what was meant, not unless someone wanted to do that 125 times, lol.  It is just the master list itself that would be missing.

SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:31am
And I just noticed that the poll item is for 2 MLs.  I'd say that once you're taking this step, there's no reason not to just have a single list.  One wrangler could create the doc, and give edit access to whoever else has also stepped up as a wrangler.  How the wranglers then break up the workload amongst themselves is up to them.  

I know that I'm basically a newbie but as someone who did a lot of reading and reviewing this past round, I'm not ambivalent abut this, I' firmly in the "we should do this" camp.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:52am
Ok, now I understand what you meant, good idea.

SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic