NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a little annoyed...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:35pm
Fixing it would also mean they see getting repeat genres as a problem that needs a solution. 

Is it something that annoys some folks? yeah. But its only a small amount of flaw, and partially working as intended. You could get any of the genres, every time. Is writing 7 horror stories in a row hard? 

Consider it another aspect of being challenged. 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:44pm
I'd be annoyed. Swimming in a lake one minute, the sea the next. I'm open to the most difficult of challenges. Still, that would rankle, particularly since there's a repetition of both genre and action. It's one thing getting the same genre a few times in a row. It's another to get both. It's tough. I would not be a happy camper. 
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by PMNiemeyer PMNiemeyer wrote:

This year's contest featured 17 genres and "5,400+ writers participating". If the same 5400 writers participated three years in a row, and if we assume each genre is assigned equally, there are 4913 combinations of first-round genre assignments (17x17x17). So roughly 17 people get the same genre three years in a row (one writer for each genre).

So getting horror three years in a row makes you one of the lucky 17. Wink

But I agree that getting the same genre+action combination two years in a row would be a bit of a bummer.

I'd be really surprised if the same 5400 people participate three years in a row.

I'm a newbie this year, but I cross checked my microfiction group against all the Flash Fiction entrants, and at least half hadn't been in FF at all. (I know, that also makes me a nerd. Guilty as charged!)
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
The real issue here is that the genre+prompt combination is so close.

Getting the same genre with different prompts is still a different experience. I've done 2 ghost stories out of 4 entries to NYC so far - the only two ghost stories I've ever written - and they were so different.

QUESTION - who comes up with the prompts? Can't work out whether it would be ecstasy or torture to do this! 

And sometimes they all go together nicely (A/A and swimming anywhere work well together) whereas other times they are a challenge in themselves (fantasy and a laser).
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:40am
Yes, the same genre twice in a row is bound to happen to a few people, given how many take part. But it does feel like they should be able to avoid setting identical (or near-identical) genre-action combinations, especially since it's only the micro competitions that have an action prompt.
Tunamonkeys View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tunamonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:49am
I agree with wanting to branch out a bit more from the assigned categories. I've been getting historical fiction the past 2-3 assignments; not the worst category, but I wouldn't mind to expand a bit. It's always nice to be able to stretch a different set of thoughts.

Let's hope we all make it to the next assignment and our prompts are vastly different! LOL
rachelm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:51am
On the positive side, you had all that feedback on your action/adventure from last year to improve upon :) I've had thriller twice, and it was fun to take the things I learned the first time and apply them to the next story! Buuut it is an unlucky break that the action was so similar.
MF250 R1: To Deliver a Curse
MF 100 R2: Thirst
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12