NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a little annoyed...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a little annoyed...
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:09am
I did the 250MFC last year and my prompt was: action/adventure, swimming in a lake, application

This year I got: action/adventure, swimming in an ocean, welcome

I was looking forward to a challenge and got almost the exact same prompt. Really wish I'd been assigned anything else! Every idea I had felt very similar to the story I wrote last year. Sigh. Did this happen to anyone else?
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:13am
I've gotten the same category twice in a row. It was a category I don't particularly like, so while I was cool with it the first time, I was less pleased the next.

But honestly, the fact that your action was so close in both is pretty crazy.
kcrowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:20am
Yeah, I'm a terrible action/adventure writer, so that definitely didn't help me out, ha. I've done five NYC Midnight competitions throughout the past six years, and in three of them I've had that as my genre.
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:33am
Wow, that's bananas that you got such a similar action two years in a row!

I've received a total of 15 rounds with genre assignments since 2016 (not counting the one time I made it to a final round with an open genre), and here are the repeated genres I got: 

Historical Fiction x 3, Thriller x 3, Action/Adventure x 2 out of a total of 15 
My favorite genres, ghost story and horror, have eluded me so far. 

I've never received similar actions/locations/characters/objects/words before, so I think you might have been very unlucky. I'm so sorry that happened to you! Part of the fun of these challenges is trying to throw together a story with really random prompts. 

Hopefully if you do more of the other challenges, you'll get more of a variety. Again, I can completely understand you being super annoyed.

Maybe the universe is telling you that you have a great story in you that involves swimming in a body of water? Probably unhelpful, just trying to find a silver lining for you. Wink

MF250 R1: "Life of Ophrys"
FFC R2: “Breaking"
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:42am
It is one of the things that makes me hesitate to sign up. Right now, the entry fee is something I can't take lightly. If it were free, throw whatever you want at me. But for the cost, when one round is all you're guaranteed and you're really counting how every dollar is spent, the equation is just different.

This year I singed up specifically envisioning getting the category I wanted least.

That said, after I have that $6,000 prize in my hands, the entry fee won't matter.

(Kidding. I'm Canadian, so it's more like $7,800 with the exchange).
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:23am
Your annoyance is justified! To get the same genre twice in a row may be regarded as misfortune, but  to have the same combination of action and genre in consecutive years looks like carelessness (by whoever sets these things).
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:23pm
Yeah, for Short Story, three contests running, I've gotten horror in round one. Three times. I know they supposedly assign things randomly, but it's getting old.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
PMNiemeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMNiemeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
This year's contest featured 17 genres and "5,400+ writers participating". If the same 5400 writers participated three years in a row, and if we assume each genre is assigned equally, there are 4913 combinations of first-round genre assignments (17x17x17). So roughly 17 people get the same genre three years in a row (one writer for each genre).

So getting horror three years in a row makes you one of the lucky 17. Wink

But I agree that getting the same genre+action combination two years in a row would be a bit of a bummer.
EdYo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdYo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm
This is just a bit of extra code that would prevent this happening in future comps. It can only be a good thing, so well worth any small investment. 
turtlevibes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turtlevibes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm
I see why this would be annoying but I don't think it's likely nycmidnight would fix it. Could be a small amount of code, sure, but it's not a small amount of work to maintain all that data in one place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic