NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 day novella, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:43pm
I did 3-Day Novel in 2017 and 2018. It's excruciating, frustrating, maddening, and utterly EXHILARATING. Since 2018 they've been very flaky with their timelines, constantly missing their promised judging deadlines. I love the format, and there's nothing like it. But the waiting game for results drove everyone bananas.

This is a different group of people, looks like, so perhaps I'll give them a shot.
100 Word Micro
R2 Queen of Silver Linings
Final Round Underneath
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:51pm
To the inquisitor: Yeah, there's an honor system! Last year, I had to write and sign and have witnessed (by my very supportive father) a doc that said I'd written it all (sans plotting and character development and such) during the 72-hour window in my time zone. 

To Dcontrarato: I'm actually a pretty good first-draft writer! I hope they don't hold that against me! But looking at last year's story, it's soooooo lacking in development! (As would any story written in 72 hours, though, right? I intend to develop it fully and maybe self-publish it or submit it to agents at some future point.) Another thing I do is budget a few hours for proofing!! Check, check, double check... it can be done!! But never underestimate the importance of good sleep, too. LOTS of good sleep. 

To Noel: Right! New people!! I'd rather give them a chance than stick with the old organization. Let's do this! 
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

To the inquisitor: Yeah, there's an honor system! Last year, I had to write and sign and have witnessed (by my very supportive father) a doc that said I'd written it all (sans plotting and character development and such) during the 72-hour window in my time zone. 

Thanks. I've never been involved in anything like that and I wasn't sure how it would work.
VannaGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:44pm
Okay, I signed up. I have no idea what I'm going to write about though! Should be interesting, to say the least. Big smile
FF2020 CH1 G120 Wishing Well Secrets
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 6:07pm
To the inquisitor: You're welcome!! Smile I think one year in the original contest (the 3-day novel, not the new 3-day novella) the book that won turned out to have been written in a much longer than three-day timespan. And the author said something like, "Oops, I thought it was the three-year novel contest." Confused And they didn't publish his book! Big smile But don't quote me on that exactly! I think the wikipedia page has that story on it somewhere! 

To VannaGrey: OH BOY!! YAY!! Happy times!! I too just signed up!! Great minds think alike. We'll have a blast!! And don't worry! We have still over a month to come up with plot outlines!! YAY!! Clap

dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:02pm
OK you guys convinced me - signed up as well Confused

The thing is, this self-imposed challenges have a way to get me to actually write something. The 3-day thing is totally wacky but hey, it will get me started on something, I know that for sure. And if I don't finish or submit, happy to contribute the $35 for the awards of more deserving writers.

Someone might argue about quantity vs. quality (normally I would argue about that), but the argument is null if the quantity is zero. So ... Smile
FF20, R1, G95 The Forest of Trials
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:18pm
YAY!! Oh boy, it'll be fun!! Clap
VannaGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

OK you guys convinced me - signed up as well Confused

The thing is, this self-imposed challenges have a way to get me to actually write something. The 3-day thing is totally wacky but hey, it will get me started on something, I know that for sure. And if I don't finish or submit, happy to contribute the $35 for the awards of more deserving writers.

Someone might argue about quantity vs. quality (normally I would argue about that), but the argument is null if the quantity is zero. So ... Smile

Yay! Exactly. Apparently I am unable to come up with anything without some sort of challenge and deadline. If I didn't participate, I wouldn't write anything, so... So. Exactly. :)
FF2020 CH1 G120 Wishing Well Secrets
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 11:43am
I could never make anything of this kinda contest. 3/4 of my contest time is spent 
editing just to make it readable. 20,000 words, forget me, haha. Good luck to all of 
you though!
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I could never make anything of this kinda contest. 3/4 of my contest time is spent 
editing just to make it readable. 20,000 words, forget me, haha. Good luck to all of 
you though!

That's too bad! I wish you could participate! I loved your flash story this round!! Any way you can get an editor in your corner? I find the concept of 20,000+ words intimidating too! I only reached 17,400 last year, and then I sort of ran out of energy (but there was candy, so... not all bad). Maybe someone on the forum who won't be participating could help you beta read all weekend...? That would rock!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic