NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 day novella, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:17pm
Really does not make much sense to me. If one does not 
have a comp or internet how did they find out about the 
contest? Mail in? 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I could never make anything of this kinda contest. 3/4 of my contest time is spent 
editing just to make it readable. 20,000 words, forget me, haha. Good luck to all of 
you though!

That's too bad! I wish you could participate! I loved your flash story this round!! Any way you can get an editor in your corner? I find the concept of 20,000+ words intimidating too! I only reached 17,400 last year, and then I sort of ran out of energy (but there was candy, so... not all bad). Maybe someone on the forum who won't be participating could help you beta read all weekend...? That would rock!! 

Thanks!  I would love to give it a go, maybe next year as that would 
give me lots of time to think and outline, might not be that difficult when
I don't have to think it up, write it, thrash it and send it in in three days, haha.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
My thinking is that some people prefer to handwrite rather than type!! So they'd need several days to transcribe their creation!! It's probably a carryover from the original contest, which dates back to 1977 (the year of my birth), back in the day, ya know? 

My dad uses a typewriter! LOL When I dragged him into microfiction earlier this year, I had to type up his entry for him on my computer! And whenever he creates a legal brief, he pays me a bit to digitally scan it, convert to text, and edit and then make corrections!! 

Yeah, you should totally get onboard! It's not too late for this year, even! Well, we do have flash fiction this weekend, and so it could be hard to get an outline and do that... I've been sitting on my outline for a while, so yeah, maybe next year will be your year!! YAY! 
VannaGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 12:37pm

I've chosen to write rom-com! Call me a coward, but paranormal/allegorical Christian historical nursing isn't my thing! LOL 

Hi Zelda! I'm with you - doing romcom and avoiding the whole paranormal/allegorical Christian historical nursing thing. LOL How are you doing on your outline/planning? I have always thought of myself as a pantser, but I realized that the extremely short turnaround time was going to take meticulous planning. I started looking up ideas for plot and structure, and I've learned a ton. In fact, I think I'm going to apply the same concepts to another WIP that I've been neglecting for 5 years (!!!). Maybe this is just what I need to dust it off and try again.

I'm both nervous and excited for Labor Day weekend. My biggest concern is completing it. I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get everything done. I guess the first day will give me a good idea of what I'm capable of. I was thinking about writing the last chapter first, to be sure I have a conclusion. Do you have any helpful tips/strategies?

P.S. off topic: I lived in the Louisville area for about 15 years before moving to AZ. I love it there! I've been following the news and hope that they can make some real progress soon. Hate to see the buildings boarded up!
FF2020 CH2 G120 Cayleigh & the Enchanted Horse
FF2020 CH1 G120 Wishing Well Secrets
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 2:23pm
Hi there!! I'm so glad you'll be doing the 3-day event!!! YAY!! Beer

Yeah, you know, the whole paranormal/allegorical Christian historical nursing thing has really been done to death already. H AH AH HA HA HA HA. Oh my. LOL

I've got my outline, and it's ready to go! Go me! I'm glad you've been studying plotting, and I think you can definitely use that info to write a great novella!! (I've never studied plotting, but I once spent six years doing nothing but watching television. Same effect.) I know it's intimidating to write a whole novella in three days! I'd recommend that you either try to just get it all down in a manic writing frenzy, or that you try to write it as a shorter doc with a beginning, middle, and end--and then use remaining time to pad the doc and add into it for length. If you're concerned you won't reach the end via the first method, then you can try the second method!! I think they also have some great advice at the new contest's website! I loved this part... let me find it... Okay, this is (c) 3daynovella.com: 

Q: I’m mere minutes away from midnight. I’m still not done. WTF do I do?
A: Repeat after me. “They never saw the [insert disaster here: comet, giant meatball, Howard Stern’s butt, etc.] coming. Then they all died. If only they’d completed [whatever subplot] faster…” Or something to that effect. It won’t be the most masterful ending ever, but at least you’ll have one.

HA HA HA HA!! Oh my. 

You're from Louisville? (I mean, you lived here?) Awesomeness!! Let me know if you're ever back in town!! Thank you for the support! I feel sheltered from it here in the Highlands, but it's still upsetting, and the Breonna Taylor case is upsetting to say the least, how she died senselessly and needlessly due to complete ineptitude. But I think a lot of other major cities are in worse state than Louisville now, from what I understand!! 

Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 10:52pm
I write very, very quickly, but...how do you beat your previous word count score? I haven't unlocked that bit. It's like when your hair only grows to a certain length and it will never grow any longer, no matter what. I need the secret honey and beer potion for growing my word counts.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 11:01pm
I have the same problem. Last year, I hit 17,400 words. I have no clue what I'll reach this year! But we can do it! Go us!! Clap
CloudySkies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CloudySkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 2:59am
I just stumbled across this and I'm really tempted to give it a go even though there's not a lot of time left to prep. 
Stodmyk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stodmyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 3:55am
This is a direct competitor for the original (and still operating) 3-day Novel Competition: https://www.3daynovel.com
VannaGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VannaGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:31pm

I've got my outline, and it's ready to go! Go me! I'm glad you've been studying plotting, and I think you can definitely use that info to write a great novella!! (I've never studied plotting, but I once spent six years doing nothing but watching television. Same effect.) I know it's intimidating to write a whole novella in three days! I'd recommend that you either try to just get it all down in a manic writing frenzy, or that you try to write it as a shorter doc with a beginning, middle, and end--and then use remaining time to pad the doc and add into it for length. If you're concerned you won't reach the end via the first method, then you can try the second method!! I think they also have some great advice at the new contest's website! I loved this part... let me find it... Okay, this is (c) 3daynovella.com: 

Q: I’m mere minutes away from midnight. I’m still not done. WTF do I do?
A: Repeat after me. “They never saw the [insert disaster here: comet, giant meatball, Howard Stern’s butt, etc.] coming. Then they all died. If only they’d completed [whatever subplot] faster…” Or something to that effect. It won’t be the most masterful ending ever, but at least you’ll have one. 

Yeah, that is too funny! LOL I think I'll just write in a mad frenzy and hope I finish! Thanks, Zelda! Smile
FF2020 CH2 G120 Cayleigh & the Enchanted Horse
FF2020 CH1 G120 Wishing Well Secrets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic