NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 day novella, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I could never make anything of this kinda contest. 3/4 of my contest time is spent 
editing just to make it readable. 20,000 words, forget me, haha. Good luck to all of 
you though!

I hear you, Suave. That is my normal process as well, regurgitate stuff on the page as fast as possible and then edit, edit, edit the incoherent mess. That won't work here - I think for starters one needs to get there with an outline - even better if broken down scene by scene, and character sketches/backstory already fleshed out. And then write the first draft as best you can, there will be no second draft. So you could really see this challenge as: "can you type a 100-page good story in decent English in 3 days", the real creative process can and should happen before. Then I'm sure there are pantsers out there that can do magic just by starting to type and do all at once beautifully, but that is definitely not me LOL

But happy to hear advice and tips from 3DN veterans here... 

BTW, I have a title already and general concept for the thing, just the excitement of trying this out got my creative (?) juices going, which is exactly while I go to the trouble of signing up for these contests Smile
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I could never make anything of this kinda contest. 3/4 of my contest time is spent 
editing just to make it readable. 20,000 words, forget me, haha. Good luck to all of 
you though!

That's too bad! I wish you could participate! I loved your flash story this round!! Any way you can get an editor in your corner? I find the concept of 20,000+ words intimidating too! I only reached 17,400 last year, and then I sort of ran out of energy (but there was candy, so... not all bad). Maybe someone on the forum who won't be participating could help you beta read all weekend...? That would rock!! 

BTW, @Zelda: is there any indication of what type of stories or genres are preferred? I know the rules say "anything" but I was wondering if there is any trend based on past contest winners, e.g. toward specific genre fiction rather than literary (literary in 3 days, really?). For example, the font they use on the website headline has mild horror-ish feel to it LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:54pm
That's a great question!! I wish I knew the answer!! I haven't read any winners, and I honestly have no clue at all! Also, since this contest is new, maybe the new judges will have different things they're looking for...? Their logo does look horrific, doesn't it? LOL It makes me think of Halloween! I wish I had more answers! I would guess they like literary, but that's based solely on the fact that my last year's story wasn't literary (it was like doing these NYC Midnight contests times a million), and I wasn't a finalist! Again, though, the new judges might feel differently! 

Does anyone else know? 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

you though!

I hear you, Suave. That is my normal process as well, regurgitate stuff on the page as fast as possible and then edit, edit, edit the incoherent mess. That won't work here - I think for starters one needs to get there with an outline - even better if broken down scene by scene, and character sketches/backstory already fleshed out. And then write the first draft as best you can, there will be no second draft. So you could really see this challenge as: "can you type a 100-page good story in decent English in 3 days", the real creative process can and should happen before. Then I'm sure there are pantsers out there that can do magic just by starting to type and do all at once beautifully, but that is definitely not me LOL

But happy to hear advice and tips from 3DN veterans here... 

BTW, I have a title already and general concept for the thing, just the excitement of trying this out got my creative (?) juices going, which is exactly while I go to the trouble of signing up for these contests Smile

The fact that I could write what I want is a big plus, and I think 
I think not having to come up with a story in the first day would
be great. I don't know, not this time for sure, but maybe next time.
I need to mull something like this over.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

That's a great question!! I wish I knew the answer!! I haven't read any winners, and I honestly have no clue at all! Also, since this contest is new, maybe the new judges will have different things they're looking for...? Their logo does look horrific, doesn't it? LOL It makes me think of Halloween! I wish I had more answers! I would guess they like literary, but that's based solely on the fact that my last year's story wasn't literary (it was like doing these NYC Midnight contests times a million), and I wasn't a finalist! Again, though, the new judges might feel differently! 

Does anyone else know? 

Going by the "About" page, there's no way to know as the contest devolved until apparently 2019 never had winners announced, so the people running and judging this round will have completely different tastes.

However, FWIW, one announced judge writes a paranormal series he funds with a Kickstarter, the other self-publishes (under her own "press") novels that appear to be Christian allegory and historical fiction, and has some anthology and magazine credits (and the Oxford Guide to Medicine? Apparently she's a retired nurse.)  So God knows. 
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:02am
Wow, thanks for looking all that up!! Clap

So we have... paranormal/allegorical Christian historical nursing? Oh boy!! Shocked

I've chosen to write rom-com! Call me a coward, but paranormal/allegorical Christian historical nursing isn't my thing! LOL
Dwayz64 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwayz64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 2:34pm
Hi,
I was interested in this, but I don't understand why is the submission deadline Sept. 15, when it says you should write/edit everything between Sept. 5-7? Shouldn't the submission deadline be Sept. 7? I was just curious if I was misunderstanding something.
Thanks,
Dan
Short Story 1, Group 44 - The Second War
https://bit.ly/3hTMoTM
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm
I wondered the same, and I believe it’s because you have the option to print your submission and mail it to them (it does say something along those lines somewhere on their website).

Since it’s fundamentally a honor system, it’s up to the contestant to ensure that the entry is written only during the three days of the contest.

They can be reached by email at 3daynovella at gmail dot com in case you want to clarify.

Good luck! (And I should work on my outline lol...)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 6:50pm
It's for people who handwrite or use a typewriter!! So they can take what they've got and make it a word doc!! You're not supposed to edit or correct mistakes while you do that--just type it as you've got it!! :-)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

I wondered the same, and I believe it’s because you have the option to print your submission and mail it to them (it does say something along those lines somewhere on their website).

Since it’s fundamentally a honor system, it’s up to the contestant to ensure that the entry is written only during the three days of the contest.

They can be reached by email at 3daynovella at gmail dot com in case you want to clarify.

Good luck! (And I should work on my outline lol...)

Ohh, that also makes sense! (Sorry, I'm a bit spaced out!) Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic