NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 day novella, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 day novella, anyone?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:43pm
Hi guys! I know a lot of you do the international 3-day novel event, but they've been rather flaky and inconsistent about replying to people and posting results. A new event, the 3-day novella, has emerged at 3daynovella.com, and they're on FB too. They posted today that only seven people have entered so far. And the TOP THREE WINNERS get published! You guys have got to get in on this!! Be one of the first winners of a new event! I'm in but haven't registered yet, which brings that tally up to eight. So what do you all think? I did it (the original event) for the first time last year (it's held over Labor Day weekend each year, as is the new spinoff event) and had a blast. The main thing I remember is that I raided the local candy shop beforehand and started the event with a huge basket of candy on my computer table. I didn't win (the original contest finally revealed the winners today, and some finalists a few weeks or so ago), but it was wild. Anyone want to join me in the new spinoff event this year, or anyone going to do the original event? Feel free to comment here about one or the other, it's all good! Smile
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:38pm
....Oh, what the heck. I need a boot to the behind to write MORE. 
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

....Oh, what the heck. I need a boot to the behind to write MORE. 

YAY!! It'll be fun!! ClapStar
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:09pm
Hmmmm tempting. Let me go through my long list of plot bunnies to see if there's anything that would fit that length LOL Haha I'm a sucker for a good fast contest...
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by kolohe kolohe wrote:

Hmmmm tempting. Let me go through my long list of plot bunnies to see if there's anything that would fit that length LOL Haha I'm a sucker for a good fast contest...

YAY! You know you want to!! There will be candy!! Clap
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:44pm
Decide quickly!! The registration cost is $35 for July and then it's $50 in August and early September!! 
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:28am
Wow, but how does one type 10,000 words in a day?

I did Nanowrimo last year, managed to get to a 2000-2500 words/day by writing 10pm-midnight every day. It was an exhilarating blast, except the end result was a hot mess of a first part of what will probably be a 250,000-word novel, if I ever finish it. I do plan to write part II this November, btw.

But 10,000 in a day? 8-10 hours of writing a day for three days? I can’t afford the time, and will never be able to fit a complete story in the word count lol LOL

I’ll think about it...
FF20, R1, G95 The Forest of Trials
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:41am
Yeah, last year I topped out at 17,400 words. It was still a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end, though!! I think you've got to do a lot of prep with character development and outlining, and then aim for X words per hour. That'll be my strategy!! 

Yeah, think about it! Remember: candy!! Thumbs Up
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:35am
Without NYC-style genre and prompt assignments, how can they know it's been written on those three days? 
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Without NYC-style genre and prompt assignments, how can they know it's been written on those three days? 

Well, it looks like it’s a honor system, which is kind of surprising given that they have sizeable prices. Nanowrimo is also a honor system; there is a widget to check your word count, but no one sees your novel so you could put together 50,000 words of lorem ipsum to unlock your badge. At least Nanowrimo prizes are very small, you win a voucher with a discount for writing software, no cash. So the focus there is really on the personal challenge of writing the 50,000 words in a month (I LOVED it and couldn’t care less about the voucher). 

One should face this with the same spirit - the personal challenge of writing a novella in 3 days. But admittedly, if the winner has a super polished, awesome story, one could wonder when it was actually written LOL
FF20, R1, G95 The Forest of Trials
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic