NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2nd Round Please Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krg93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Round Please Help!
    Posted: 28 May 2021 at 1:06am
Hey All, 

Super excited to start the second round! I am British and not quite sure what the Character is. What is a handicapper? Is it about disability or golf? Any help would be great!

Thanks 

Kat
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 1:20am
it could be used in the context of someone who sets the odds in a horse race or sporting event for betting.
Krg93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krg93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 1:27am
Thanks Suave! I am not massively sporty and have never heard of it... I will have to get thinking. Thanks Big smile
Ajdwalker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ajdwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:47am
Hey Krg93, I'm in the same heat as you, and have the same issue, not a term I'm familiar with as not sure we use it in the UK a lot. My heart sank when I read it too Confused

I found this that helps explain it a bit. 
https://www.oddschecker.com/us/betting-guides/betting-strategy/sports-handicappers

Good luck in the round!

jugglet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jugglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 12:33pm
Also UK based and in the same group... It was a head scratcher for me.

From my understanding its golf/horse or some form of sports theme.

GL all.
Krg93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krg93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 2:21pm
Glad it isn't just me. Yes I googled and went with that, its a tough one. Thanks for replying! And good luck Big smile
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:15pm
Whew! Glad I didn't get that word. We don't use it in this part of Canada either. I'm looking forward to reading the submissions in this group. Learn something new every day!
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 6:54pm
Oh... I just found this thread! I was in Gr. 11 too and struggled at first with the word, then went with an interpretation not related to sports betting.

I hope you all post your scripts in the forum. It’ll be fun to see how people dealt with the prompt.

Good luck everyone either way!
mikereedwords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikereedwords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:00am
Hello Kat

I’m a Brit too, and this round my character is "A boater". Apart from the hat, I’ve never heard of this term before! Just assuming/hoping it's the obvious assumption – the internet seems to think so! Last round my character was "A valedictorian" – we don't have those either! Best of luck in round 2, fellow Brit :)
Mike Reed
R2:"MEET THE MAXWELLS"
R1: "NO SHORT CUTS"
www.someofmike.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic