NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250MFC2020 Submission Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
halithewriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halithewriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:14am
I tend to paste my story into wordcounter.net and have never had an issue with submitting. I think they’re the safest bet.
CappyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CappyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:22pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah I didn't accidentally include my title in the story, didn't have any em-dashes or hyphenated words. So I'm thinking now it must have been the line breaks I put in to break up the speech. If a few other people experienced this too then something fishy is up and NYC Midnight should look into it. Luckily I was able to shorten some words into contractions otherwise I would have been a bit stuck at what to take out (and it isn't really fair to have to take out anything if you are on the word limit).

Cheers! :)
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by CappyCat CappyCat wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah I didn't accidentally include my title in the story, didn't have any em-dashes or hyphenated words. So I'm thinking now it must have been the line breaks I put in to break up the speech. If a few other people experienced this too then something fishy is up and NYC Midnight should look into it. Luckily I was able to shorten some words into contractions otherwise I would have been a bit stuck at what to take out (and it isn't really fair to have to take out anything if you are on the word limit).

Very strange. I had a bunch of line breaks in mine and did not have this issue.

Do you mean just leaving a blank space between each line?

Or did you put a symbol like # or * also?

Micro Fiction 2020 R1 G51 - Roadkill Roulette (Comedy)
terrilynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrilynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:36pm
Yes, every program counts differently with em dashes, hyphens, etc. 

I had to burn a work for my scene break, but the break was necessary. 

My lines between paragraphs went in fine. 
CappyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CappyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Originally posted by CappyCat CappyCat wrote:

<div id="highlighter---tools" style="display: none;">
    <div id="highlighter---tools--container">
        <div ="highlighter--icon highlighter--icon-copy" title="Copy">
        <div ="highlighter--separator">
        <div ="highlighter--icon highlighter--icon-delete" title="Delete">

Very strange. I had a bunch of line breaks in mine and did not have this issue.

Do you mean just leaving a blank space between each line?

Or did you put a symbol like # or * also?

No I didn't use any symbols I just had my new paragraphs and new speech starting on the next line down. I even tried removing all the line breaks and then re-adding them in the submission box but it still claimed I had a few words over. Has never happened to me before where the word counts don't match up so not sure what went down.
John Tannhauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Tannhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:35am
Tried that - thanks. Got some guff about the portal being the only one used by all contestants, therefore nobody is being objectively disadvantaged.

I'm sure I could argue the toss on that one, but figure it'd just end up being a wasted effort. They have, at least, offered to share my concerns with Submittable to see what might be done about that matter. So, let's see what happens. I'm not holding my breath...
JT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic